C H A P T E R 2

Naming games and Tiny Cloths

"I'm home!"I yelled out as I closed the front door using my left foot."I'm in the kitchen!" A voice rang back. I strolled towards the kitchen, past the living room and the stairs, making a right into the kitchen to see my mother. She wore a blue apron written 'best chef' along with a messy bun on her head. She was moving around the kitchen frantically. I slowly placed my bag on the floor in confusion and decided to ask. "Am I missing something?" She continued moving pots and pans around for a moment before answering me. "You forgot didn't you?"This time she stopped to look at me accusatorily. I dumbly replied. "Forgot what?" She sighed heavily. "We are having the Casaties over for dinner today.I expect you to be on your best behavior." My eyes widened in shock. "I didn't agree to this."

Have I mentioned how much I hate guests? Well I do, some serious hate it is. Especially the uninvited kind, by that, I mean the ones I didn't invite. My mother smiled and shook her head before her eyes stared daggers into me. "I swear if you pull another stunt like the last time.." Her voice got drowned out as my mind went back to the last time they visited.

*Flashack:One Month Ago*

I silently made my way down the stairs and made a quick beeline for the kitchen. I was watching a movie and in dire need for some popcorn. My mother invited our new neighbors over, the Casaties.A weird bunch they were. A snobby mother, and two annoying children. One was..a kid, don't ask me how old because I could care less, the other was I think older than me? Any who, I had been forced to eat dinner at the dining table with them but afterwards I scurried off upstairs to my room. No way would I entertain them.

I made it to the kitchen, luckily without being seen and proceeded to get the popcorn in the container by the counter only to find it empty. I face palmed, remembering that I finished them the day before so I decided to make more. I got a pot out (not like pot 'pot', the cooking kind okay. Just making sure you ain't confused or anything.), some oil and the popcorn seeds from the pantry. Switching on the stove to maximum heat, I carelessly poured some oil into the pot and placed it over the stove.I then dandily covered it with the lid and left the oil to heat up before I could add the popcorn. I didn't cook much, for some reason no one trusted me around a stove, or anything relatively dangerous. People are too paranoid.

A little while later I noticed smoke forming in the pot through the glass lid. That didn't look good. I then stupidly opened the lid and placed it onto the counter. The smoke rose and began filling the kitchen and next thing I knew, a fire erupted out of the same pot I almost had my face over.

The fire alarm blasted through the house and I stared at the flames in shock. That wasn't good.

*End of flashback*

After that, the fire department came. It wasn't even that big of a fire, nothing except the pot got burnt. Well, if you excuse my pride.Our new neighbors ended up being quite traumatized and haven't stepped foot back in our home. I'm surprised they even agreed to come back.

"Daniella! Are you even listening to me?" I looked up to find her with her hands on her hips and a pointed look on her face. "Yes yes, I heard everything you said." I smiled knowing that I heard nothing but a fragment of the first sentence. Before she could call me out I eyed the messy kitchen and asked a dumb question. "You need help?"

"NO!" Her response came out in less than a millisecond. Her hazel eyes wide and her arms raised like she's trying to catch me from falling off a cliff. She acts as if I asked to burn down the house. When she noticed my face fall she tried to clarify her answer. "What I meant was, you just got back from school and you must be really tired. If you'd like, you could help set the table."