Chapter 43 - Safe

Start from the beginning

"Will went to bed," Rose states to no one in particular as I lower myself into one of the chairs in the living room. "And I probably will too once I finish icing again."

"Was Will injured?" I ask her.

"Just some stitches and a bad slice to his arm, so basically a lot of stitches."

I nod, glad that he is alright.

"What happened?" I ask, motioning to her knee.

"Dislocated it while running from the guy who got Will's arm. Did you see those massive blades they had? They were freaking insane," she exclaims. I nod, my thoughts drifting as to if I was ever trained to use one of those blades like I was trained on the staffs and never knew it.

"I heard about yours," she comments. "Rock smushed pole which somewhat smushed you?"

"Basically."

We sit in each other's company for a little while before Rose grabs her crutches and struggles to stand.

"Here," I stand and offer her my hands. "I know the struggle of crutches," I relate too easily to her struggle of balance.

She is tall, just like her sister. Their features were similar with the tanned skin, dark hair and brown eyes. However, personality wise Rose always seemed much more reserved, less like a candor, in my personal opinion. She was mellow, and she always seemed like she didn't care much about people around her when I've met her in the past. Not to a selfish aspect, but to a reserved aspect of minding her own business.

"Thanks," she smiles, towering over me as she stands. "Good night."

"Night," I pick up her ice pack and slowly move to the kitchen to place it in the freezer. I know that I too should ice my abdomen, but the cooling air as the winter begins to settle in has been giving me a constant chill. I decide one night of skipping ice will not set me back too far in my healing.

"I'm going to bed, unless you need anything," Chris leans on the frame of the entrance to her kitchen. "I have some clothes in the bedroom right here for you," she points to the bedroom next to the kitchen left of where she's standing. "Rose is right next door, and I'm across the hall and I'll have my door open. Please come and get me or yell if you need something, and don't feel bad either. Rose has been doing it all week, and I'd rather be woken in the middle of the night rather than find you on the floor half dead in the morning," she says frankly.

"Alright, thank you," I say smiling lightly. Knowing my way around her apartment, I help myself to a glass in her cabinet and get a glass of water and she remains in the doorway as if she is contemplating something. I raise an eyebrow at her, knowing despite the darkness that she can see me.

"Good night, Tris," she snaps out of her daze on me and stands from where she was leaning. I bid her goodnight and bring the water with me to the bedroom.

All I remember is pulling back the covers and laying down when I wake in the morning.

Genuine shock replaces me when I notice that it's morning and that I actually slept last night.
Rolling over, panic surges me as the nausea comes on quickly.

I have to worry about other people being in the bathroom when this happens now.

Sitting up, I move quickly, only noticing the pain in my leg as I move across the living room to get to the bathroom.
I'm relieved to see it is unoccupied and the door is open, but I worry as I feel the bile begin to rise and quicken my pace painfully, making my urge to puke even worse.

Someone must hear me awake, because as I release my guts into the toilet without closing the door I hear footsteps from outside the door getting closer.