Chapter 37 - So Badly

— Third Person

"Explosives were set off in the Pire. No one was in the Pire at the time, or the control room located right next to it, but there was people below." Amar runs alongside Zeke while speaking. Both are in the same squad, and both got separated by their squad.

"How do you know there's not more explosives?" Zeke comments.

"We don't."

The two move in silence, their feet the only sound through the halls.

The fighting has commenced since the explosion went off, many outsiders taken into custody, many escapees.

"I'm counting up people I've seen in my head," Zeke comments, slightly breathless from the exertion of his feet.

"George is injured."

"Lynn was back in the training room, along with Chris getting stitched up. I saw Four our fighting, for some odd reason, and I haven't seen him since."

"He was moved to Erudite. I saw him in the infirmary with George."

"And Tris?" Zeke asks.

"That's what I'm worried about." They turn the corner to the location below the Pire, the Pire that no longer existed.

"Holy shit."

"Mother of god."

Glass was everywhere, along with rocks and chunks of cement from the foundation of the Pire."

"Tris!" Amar basically screams, running into the rubble in a panic.

"Well, no chance of not being noticed now." Zeke mumbles, moving to his left to search for people.

"Hey," Zeke sees a hand. "Ohhh god, Amar!"

The morbid picture would never leave the backs of either man's eyes for the rest of their lives.

Amar gasps, a hand flying over his mouth.

Bending down by the body, his fingers find the person's neck.

Shaking his head, he stands up.

"Ian's dead." Amar says barely above a whisper.

"We have to find others. Maybe it's not too late for them." Zeke suddenly rushes.

"She was part of his squad." Amar says in a rush.

"Tris!" Now Zeke is screaming.

She hears them.
Barely.

Suddenly, someone stands up in the rubble, the sound of rocks moving as the person makes their way to their feet.

He stands, many yards away from Amar before making a wobbly run for it.

Amar recognizes him.
He knows who he is.

Out of instinct, he whips out his gun and shoots him in the leg, slowing the man until he collapses.

"That's Derrick." He comments to Zeke, but Zeke is paying no attention.

Amar makes a mental note to keep an eye on Derrick, but suspects he will not move much from injury and the new bullet to his leg.

"Two more dead." Zeke comments, pointing to two mounds of rubble. "Both have hands too big to be Tris's. Both have branding of New York though."

"Yeah, but so does she," Amar snarks referencing the branding. He's filled with fear.