Chapter 4 - The Beginning

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

As Ruby laid down on the ground in disappointment and exhaustion from the day she was having, she tried to imagine how it could get any worse. Getting sick and getting expelled due to lack of attendance during the first week? No, that would be too simple. Having to fight robots from outer space? Maybe that could happen. As she was thinking, a shadow blocked the sun from her closed eyes. When she opened them, she saw the blond-haired boy from earlier extending his hand down to Ruby.

Boy: "Hey...I'm Jaune."

Ruby leaned up and reluctantly took his hand before introducing herself.

Ruby: "Ruby."

Jaune helped Ruby get off the ground, only to receive a short laugh from Ruby as she remembered who he was.

Ruby: "Aren't you the guy that threw up on the ship?"

Timeskip - Beacon Academy

Jaune and Ruby were walking around the stone paths at Beacon, admiring the view of the academy and getting to know each other. Jaune however was trying to explain and defend himself for having a...let's just say, unfortunate loss of dignity on board the ship to Beacon.

Jaune: "All I'm saying is that motion sickness is a much more common problem than people let on!"

Ruby: "Look, I'm sorry vomit-boy was the first thing came to mind."

Jaune: "Oh yeah? What if I called you crater-face?"

Ruby: "Hey, that explosion was an accident!"

Jaune then pointed to himself and did a semi-dramatic pose while walking.

Jaune: "Well the name's Jaune Arc. Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue, ladies love it!"

Ruby simply responded by raising her eyebrow and giving Jaune a questionable look.

Ruby: "Do they?"

Jaune: "They will! Well, I hope they will... I mean, my mom always says that... Never mind."

Ruby giggled a little bit at that last part before akward tension started to kick in. Ruby decided to show Jaune her weapon. Ruby unfolded Crescent Rose and dug it into the ground, and Jaune responded by jumping back and nearly pissing himself.

Ruby: "So, I got this thing..."

Jaune: "Woah! Is that a scythe?!"

Ruby: "It's also a customizable, high impact velocity sniper rifle.

Jaune: "A wha---?"

Ruby reloaded her gun to fill the chamber.

Ruby: "It's also a gun."

Jaune: "Oh. That's cool!"

Ruby: "So what've you got?"

Jaune: "Oh, uh, I got this sword."

Jaune pulls out his silver sword and shows it to Ruby.

Ruby: "Ooohh."

Jaune: "Yeah, I've got a shield too."

Jaune takes out the shield and unfolds it to it's deployed state. Ruby started to touch the shield to get a feel of what it was like. Unfortunately, the shield was sensitive and Ruby touching it caused Jaune to stumble around with the shield. Jaune then folded up the shield to its undeployed state.

Ruby: "So, what do they do?"

Jaune: "Well, the shield gets smaller. So...when I get tired of carrying it...I can just put it away."

Ruby: "But, wouldn't it weigh the same?"

Jaune looked down in disappointment before quietly responding to his new red-hooded friend.

Jaune: "Yeah, it does..."

Ruby laughed and expressed her liking with weapons.

Ruby: "Well, I'm kind of a dork when it comes to weapons. I guess I did go a little overboard designing it."

Jaune: "Wait, you made that?"

Ruby: "Of course! All students at Signal forge their own weapons. Didn't you make yours?"

Jaune looked over his blade for a moment before responding to her question.

Jaune: "It's a hand-me-down. My great-great-grandfather used it to fight in the war."

Ruby: "Sounds more like a family heirloom to me. Well I like it! Not many people have an appreciation for the classics these days."

Jaune: "Yeah... The classics..."

Ruby: "So why'd you help me out back there, in the courtyard?"

Jaune: "Eh, why not? My mom always says that strangers are just friends you haven't met yet."

Ruby: "Hmmm...hey, where are we going?"

Jaune: "Oh, I dunno. I was following you."

The two paused on the path they were walking on before trying to find out where to go.

Jaune: "You think there might be a directory? Maybe a food court? Some sort of recognizable landmark? Is uh...is that a no?"

Ruby laughed before giving a simple response to her new blond-haired friend.

Ruby: "That's a no."

Timeskip - Ozpin's Office

Ozpin stood facing the window behind his desk in his office. Clocks and gears surrounded the walls and ceiling, perhaps offering some sort of metaphorical or symbolic meaning. A look of trouble and concern was apparent on Ozpin's face. Glynda, who was present at the moment, took notice of her friend and mentor's discomfort. Glynda walked over and put her hand on Ozpin's shoulder before asking him if he was alright.

Glynda: "Professor?"

Ozpin didn't move from his position. He simply responded to Glynda with a simple, yet very mysterious statement.

Ozpin: "Something...has changed."