Chapter 9

Warning this chapter contains thoughts of suicide, self-harm, and other mature themes. Don't keep reading unless you're older than 13 years old. 

John's Pov

I still remember it like it was yesterday, the dwarves had succeeded in taking back the mountain and the Arkenstone was locked away, and Thorin became King of the mountain. I had never hated him more than I do now, he claims that Smaug was evil yet he couldn't see the cruel deeds he was doing himself. It was months ago but I still couldn't make myself forgive him for killing the love of my life. I can't close with my eyes without seeing my Dragon falling from the sky to his death. I picked up a vase from the nearby table and threw it across the room, I watched it shatter pieces and let myself cry. It wasn't fair why did he have to die, why couldn't I save him if I wasn't so weak maybe I could of. I curse at myself and spot a small knife on the counter, I can't live like this my life doesn't have any purpose without him I just wanted to end it all and see him again. I grab the knife and stroke the knife against my arm until I see blood, it hurt but I didn't care I kept going and soon there were multiple pools of blood on my arm. It was so painful but I couldn't bring myself to stop I didn't want to live anymore. I closed my eyes and moved the sharp small blade close to my chest, but all of sudden I heard a voice cry out to me.  "Treasure stop hurting yourself,"  I was sure I had gone crazy, he was dead there was no way he could be speaking to me. I pushed the blade into my chest and waited for the darkness to engulf me. But nothing happened, there was not even the slightest feeling of pain. "How is this possible?" I ask myself, all of a sudden the wounds on my arm disappeared as if they were never made.  "No please don't heal me, I want to see him!" I screamed to no one in particular, I tried again but once again I was quickly healed. "Damnit just let me die!" I throw the knife onto the floor and crash in pure misery. "It's not your time," The strange voice said, this only made me cry more. I grabbed the damaged necklace I was wearing for comfort, "We'll meet again, I promise"  I closed my eyes and saw my dragon. But he wasn't falling he was full of life and trying to speak to me. I understood now, Smaug wanted me to move on so he could rest peacefully. He had been the one to heal the injuries, he was the voice telling me to move on. My heart broke a little, I didn't want to forget him I loved him so much. But I had to be strong, he told me years ago that he would always be there I didn't understand what he meant then but I do now, he knew that one day even though he's immortal that he would be punished for all the lives he had taken. The necklace he gave me didn't just protect me, it was a piece of Smaug that couldn't be removed. I held it close to me and swore I could hear his voice in the distance. "I'll always be looking at for you,"  I felt tears drip down my face, but they were tears of joy for the first time in months felt his presence and knew he was there.  I opened my hand to see the necklace glowing a bright gold,  I smiled and said, "I think the future looks pretty bright."