A13

[

[...]

THOMAS DIDN'T have to do any explaining whatsoever. As Jorge and Brenda had previously worked alongside WICKED, they knew who Gally was. It also meant that they knew how he and Gally were rivals back in the Glade, how Gally had gone through the Changing, and the... crime he had committed as the group was going to 'escape' from the Maze.

However, Thomas didn't think about that as his enemy's name rolled off his tongue. He spat Gally's name out like it was venom. The only thing that ran through Thomas' mind was the memory of an angry boy throwing the knife that had killed Chuck, making the smaller child bleed to his death on the ground as the group sobbed around him.

He remembered losing all self-control. He remembered being dragged away from Chuck's body by their 'saviours'. He remembered Gally lying on the ground a few feet away, the light leaving his eyes as well... or at least that was what Thomas recalled.

"It can't possibly be him," Brenda said unsurely. Even she didn't seem confident about the note coming from Gally. "I mean, he didn't die in the Glade. He spent a week in the infirmary, recovering from a broken cheekbone. But that was nothing compared to the psychological damage. They used him to kill Chuck because the Psychs thought the patterns would be valuable. It was all planned. They forced Chuck to move in front of you.".

All the anger that Thomas had directly towards Gally shifted to WICKED. Damn, that company was selfish. Putting a bunch of children at risk for the sake to save a world that was beyond fixable.

Minho was as shocked as Thomas. He was the sarcastic one of the group, he had the mindset of 'shoot first, ask questions later' when it came to the organisation. Hearing the new information pissed him off.

"Nothing surprises me anymore," Thomas forced out through clenched teeth. He ran a hand through his hair, staring at the letter he held in his hands.

"Gally went nuts. The guilt ate his mind to the point where he was insane. WICKED sent him away. I'm sure they assumed that no one would ever believe his story."

"What does he mean by the Right Arm?" Minho questioned with a raised brow.

"There are rumours going around about them," Jorge started off. "It's supposed to be an underground group bent on taking down WICKED."

Brenda let out a deep sigh with a troubled look on her face. "I really think we should stick to our plan and find Hans. This could be a trap."

"Yeah," Minho agreed with Brenda, surprisingly. He looked over at Thomas. The ex-runner knew Thomas well enough that he could tell that Thomas wasn't going to follow the original plan. "Maybe we should think this through."