A10

[

[...]

THOMAS WOKE to see Amelia beside him, worried. Her skin was pale and marked with streaks of dried blood. A bruise formed on her cheek. There was a black spot on her forehead.

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty," Amelia chuckled. She changed her position to be more comfortable. "How are you feeling?"

"Like a bucket of klunk," Thomas replied. He shifted to lean on his elbow, wincing at the sharp pain in his leg where he'd been grazed by the bullet.

Thomas lay on a low cot inside a large cargo hold that currently held nothing but mismatched furniture. Minho and Newt were taking well-deserved naps on some ugly couches. Blankets covered their body and were tucked under their chins.

"They look like kids," Thomas pointed out. He was amused at the sight of his best friends. After all, he never really had the chance to see them at this state.

"WICKED can wipe my memory all they want but I will still have the motherly instinct to take care of those two," Amelia chuckled. She stood up and walked over to sit on a frumpy armchair a few feet away. "We've all been knocked out for about ten hours."

Thomas' eyes grew wide at the news. He swung his legs out and sat at the edge of the cot. "We've been flying that long? Where are we heading to, the moon?"

"No. Jorge got us a hundred or so miles away then landed in a big clearing. He's actually snoozing too. Can't have a tired pilot," she snorted. "Brenda's asleep somewhere. We're the only ones awake."

Letting out a big yawn, Thomas rubbed his face. He examined some of the burns on his arms. Upon remembering something, he looked up to face Amelia who was watching over the other two Gladers.

"What happened after the Scorch?" he asked. She turned towards him, sighing.

"It's a long story," she informed him. She hung her head, pretending as if the metal floor was more interesting than him. Thomas looked over at the sleeping Gladers and scoffed, telling her that he thinks they have time.

"You don't have to be afraid to tell me. We've escaped WICKED, they won't hurt you anymore." Amelia would give Thomas an A+ for being extremely convincing but she wasn't moved by his words. They thought they escaped WICKED before but who knows what's up next, what if their enemies catch up?

She folded her arms, contemplating if she should tell him the truth or cover up with a lie. She's lied to Thomas way too many times. There was no way in Hell she would allow him to lose his trust in her.