A6

[

[...]

THE TWO female guards lifted their weapons even higher, the wide, round muzzles pointed at the three boys. One of the women spoke up. "Don't make us use these. You have zero room for error. One false move and we pull the trigger."

The three men swung the straps of their Launchers over their shoulders, then moved towards the defiant Gladers. One guard per boy. Thomas still felt a peculiar calmness and a sense of satisfaction that WICKED need five armed guards to watch three teenagers.

The guy who grabbed Thomas' arm walked briskly through the door and into the hallway, practically pulling Thomas with him. The brunet looked over his shoulder. Another guard half-drag Minho across the floor to follow. Newt was right behind the both of them, struggling to no avail.

The boys were hauled down corridor after corridor. Other than the grunts, shouts and curses from Minho, it was somewhat silent. Thomas attempted to tell him to stop. But the ex-Runner ignored his warnings.

Finally, they reached a new door. One of the guards used a key card to unlock it, she pushed it open to reveal a small bedroom. There were two sets of bunk beds and a kitchenette with one table and chairs in the far corner. It was nothing like what Thomas had expected. He thought of the Slammer back in the Glade.

"In you go," the woman said. "We'll have some food brought to you. Be glad we don't starve you for the few days after the way you've been acting. Tests tomorrow; better get some sleep tonight."

The three men pushed the trio into the room. They swung the door closed and locked it.

All the feelings that Thomas had felt during his stay in the white room flooded back. He twisted the knob and pushed and pulled with all his weights. He pounded the door with both fists, screaming as loudly as he could for somebody to release them.

"Slim it." Newt let out an exasperated sigh. "Nobody's coming to bloody tuck you in bed."

Thomas pivoted. Minho spoke before he could put words together. "I guess we missed our chance. We'll be old men or dead before your magical moment comes rolling alone, Thomas. It's not like they're going to make a huge announcement. Something like "Now would be the best time to escape, because we'll be busy for the next ten minutes". We've gotta take some chances."

Thomas loathed admitting that his friends were correct. He regretted not making the run for it before those stupid guards appeared. Minho plopped down on one of the top beds.

"You and Brenda had a great reunion, though," Minho teased. Thomas shook his head slightly, sitting on one of the bottom beds.