17 - The Big Step

The next week went by like a year. Everything felt so glum and sad. Jason had become such a big part of my life now that his absence was killing me. I missed him like anything. I focused on my studies more and more to take my mind off him. It was like the time he was at the hospital, only this time, I knew he wasn’t coming back. How such a stupid and trivial misunderstanding led to something this big was beyond me.

One Monday, I decided to hang out at the mall with Ashton and Jess. We went to KFC and ordered chicken nuggets. On a normal day, I would eat them with utmost happiness and satisfaction. But that day, even chicken nuggets couldn’t make me forget Jason even for a single, minute moment.

Just as I lifted my second nugget off the tray, my eyes fell upon a group of girls who were laughing and giggling over a book sort of thing. I looked more carefully. It was a scrapbook. I smiled at how beautiful it was. The next moment, my smile disappeared and my heart skipped a beat. I saw Jason on one of the pages. I was pretty sure it was his picture. Given my record, it wouldn’t be strange to jump into their group discussion. But I still decided to maintain some civility. I excused myself, then went up to them and politely addressed the girl flipping the pages.

“Umm…hi!”

“Hi?” She looked at me with suspicion.

“I… uh. Okay. Let me get this straight. Is that Jason Tyler? In the photos?”

“Yeah. How’d you know… Claire?” she smiled.

I was taken aback. How did she know my name?

“How do you know my name?”

“I’m Mindy! Jason’s friend from college! You’re the girlfriend, huh?” The other two girls smiled too, now.

I blushed, but soon reality dawned upon me. I twisted my lips and looked down.

“What’s the matter?” She asked, “Everything okay?” Jess and Ashton listened with full attention now.

“No… nothing’s okay. We had a bit of a misunderstanding, and now he’s gone. I can’t even reach his phone. I don’t know what to do.” I narrowed my eyes; surprised on having poured everything out to a girl I had just met. Yes, I was that desperate.

“Oh my God!” She covered her mouth with both her hands, “I don’t believe this.”

“Neither do I.” I answered, “Do you have the slightest idea where I could find him?” I asked, desperate again.

“Did you go to his home?”

“Umm. Where is his home?” I asked, embarrassed at my ignorance about my boyfriend.

Mindy’s mouth fell.

“He never told me!” I lifted my arms.

“He lives in San Fransisco.” She put a hand on her hip. “At the most posh area of the city.”

“Posh?” I was shocked. “But…” I remembered how one night he told me he took care of himself after his parents died. He was rich now, quite opposite to what I had imagined.

“Yeah. His dad was a business tycoon. After his death, Jason’s uncle took over. But Jason never got along with him. After his uncle took over the family business, he never touched a single penny off his earnings. He practically brought himself up.”

Now it made sense.

“San Fransisco?” I bit my lip. “Do you have his… like, a home number or something?”

“Yeah!” she looked into her phone and read the number out loud.

Ashton noted it down and handed it over to me. I dialed the number with trembling hands. My heart was beating too fast and I felt all cold. The very next moment, I hung up.

“What if he’s there and gets angry? No… I can’t do this!” I said out loud.

“I’ll call him.” Mindy offered. I really liked her by now. She was very pretty too. I wondered if there was ever anything between her and Jason.

She dialed the number and pressed her phone against her ears. After a few seconds, she spoke.

“Umm… Hi! Tyler residence? This is Mindy! Is J-Jason there?” She looked at me. Her face lit up suddenly.

“Oh! Okay! No, no, it’s fine. I’ll call back. Thanks!”

I looked at her with expectation as she hung up. “He’s there!”

I felt a sudden spurt of happiness inside of me. My whole world seemed to light up at her words. I finally knew where he was. I owed Mindy big time. Big time!”

I hugged her in excitement.

“What next?” She asked, smiling.

“I’ll have to plan that out. I have to go now! Thanks Mindy! I owe you! Can I have his address?”

Ashton noted it doen again and I snatched it from his hands and waved a hurried goodbye to everyone.

I drove back home as fast as I could. The only thing on my mind was that I was gonna find him somehow. I reached home and abruptly stormed into my room, ignoring my parents greeting and Brad’s rant. I shut the door behind me and changed into my night clothes. I had dinner extra early under the pretext of not feeling well, and when I was done; I locked myself up in my room and started to think of my next step.

I looked around and thought deeply for a while. I settled down on my bed with my laptop and googled San Francisco. A five hour flight from NY to San Francisco. Yes, I was sure now. I was gonna do this. I don’t know where I got all the courage, but I did, and I was dead sure I’d go ahead with the plan.

I packed my best clothes and some warm ones. I looked around and packed everything important. It took me two long hours. I opened my cupboard and counted the money I had saved off my allowance for years. Seven grand. Not bad at all! I packed my laptop and all my adapters, and everything important imaginable. In the morning, I left at five, making sure not to wake anybody up. I left a note at the kitchen counter asking my parents not to worry. I told them where I was going and the reason. I assured them I would be back and that there was nothing to worry about.

As I stood outside my door, I looked back at my house, nervous. I had never ventured out alone on such a long trip. But there’s a first time for everything.

“Jason, brace yourself. I’m coming.” I whispered to myself and smiled.