10 - The Proposal

Jason:

I started devising a plan to propose my probable girlfriend. That felt weird, calling Claire my girlfriend. For starters, even though I knew that any girl could fall for me, I could never tell Claire would, too. Secondly, I had only seen her as an amazing friend until now. I was a bit nervous, but the fact that she was in love with me made me relax a bit, because I knew she wouldn’t turn me down.

I decided I would ask her to be my girlfriend with a rose and a chocolate bar in front of the entire college. Yeah, I can be romantic! I texted Brad and asked him to come to my room. He promptly did so, the guy seemed to have a liking for me.

“Okay, so umm… I was wondering… Claire likes chocolates right?” I asked him, nervous.

“Yeah!” He said, picking up a chicken sandwich from the plate that lay on my nightstand, his mouth now stuffed, “Which girl doesn’t?”

“Yeah, right.” I picked up the second sandwich.

“Do you have a factory of these in your room?” Brad pointed to the sandwich.

“Not really.” I said, “I just have a few spare ones always at hand!”

Before he could reply, I blurted it out.

“I’m going to propose your sister.”

He choked on the sandwich and looked at me with wide eyes, “You are? For real?”

I nodded.

“I read her letter…” I said, feeling a little guilty, “Don’t tell her!”

“She’s gonna be so happy, bro!” He motioned me to give him a fist pump. I returned the action.

He left, and I was a little more confident now. I went to bed, thinking about Claire, and I don’t know when I fell asleep.

“Jason… wake up… look, it’s me!”

I looked up, baffled. It was Claire. She wore a cute peach dress and her hair was messed up. She looked gorgeous. I took her extended hand and she pulled me out of bed.

“I didn’t know you were so strong, Claire!”

“I have been stealing your chicken sandwiches.” She smirked, “It’s time to steal a kiss!”

I leaned in to kiss her and a splash of water ended the dream.

“Hey! Wake up! It’s late for college?” Claire said, with a now empty bucket in his hand.

I got up and looked at myself. Totally wet. “Was this very necessary?”

She got a little scared. “Well. Not really. It was just a bit dramatic. And you would not get up. Bye!” Saying this she stormed out of the room. I reconsidered my decision. Should I really date a mentally unstable girl? Yeah, actually.

I got in the car. I admired myself in the rear view mirror for twenty seconds before I settled in to drive. From the corner of my eye, I saw Claire roll her eyes. I think she was just jealous of how good I looked. All the freaking time!

I deliberately reached college a bit early.

“There! Your friends. Go!” I pointed to a group of people whom I had never even seen before.

“Are you drunk or something?” She replied.

“Claire! I…ha-ha!” I began. “I have to umm… go! Yeah!”

She stared at me, with her eyes narrowed to slits.

“Bye!” I said and got out of there. I couldn’t have her around while I picked up a fresh rose and a chocolate. That would totally ruin the plan, you see.

I headed a little south of the campus, where a mall was located. I got in. Needless to say, most of the girls drooled when they saw me. I took off my shades to give them a better visual treat. I bought a huge chocolate bar and wrapped around it a pretty ribbon tied into a bow. I got a red rose, and they seemed so perfect together!

I was ready to go. As I got back into the car, I thought over my plan of proposing her in the parking lot when all the classes were over. In front of everyone! I was pretty sure she would be over the moon and say stuff like ‘Aww that’s so cute’ and probably hug me. I blushed.

When I got back, I hid the rose and chocolate in my bag and headed in Claire’s direction.

Claire’s P.O.V:

Jason was back now, and he was beaming. I wondered what it was all about. I began to wonder why he was trying to get away from me. Did he have a new girl in his life? Oh no, not again. I frowned at the mere thought of it. I imagined myself, some sixty years later, with grey hair and a terribly wrinkled face, trying to tell Jason that I was in love with him, and then a girl walks in and takes him away again. And they both are still good looking.

“Hey!” Jessica shook me out of my imagination, “What are you thinking? It’s time for class. Let’s go!”

In class, I tried very hard to focus. I did, too. But towards the end, I lost my concentration. I started to think about Jason and his supposed new girlfriend. Who was she? Did I stand a chance in front of her? Many questions rummaged through my brain.

Even at lunch, I kept feeling glum and unhappy. When Jason went to take his food, I quickly opened his bag and had a quick sneak peek inside.

Oh no.

I found a beautiful red rose and a huge bar of chocolate, done beautifully with a ribbon, resting there. I was right. He was going to propose somebody! And this time, he did not even bother to tell me! I broke. I already had made a record of failed attempts of confessing my love to him. Now I felt like me and him were never going to happen for sure. A tear escaped my eye but I quickly wiped it away and pretended to be normal. Jessica and Ashton arrived at the table and Jason too.

The food tasted dull. All the laughter around me did not evoke even a smile on my face. Yes, my attempt to pretend like everything was okay failed too. But somehow my friends did not notice. They were too caught up in their own world. But that did not hurt. The only thing that did was him.

All the classes went by on a similar note. I just gave up and was caught sleeping in the last period, and received a mild scolding from our teacher. But I couldn’t care less.

I was extremely happy when the bell rang. I couldn’t wait to go home and sleep through the rest of the day. As I got up, my eyes searched for Jason by default. But he wasn’t there. Must have gone to his new chick, I thought. As I walked out with Jess and Ashton, I noticed Jason pacing back and forth near our car. He had the rose and chocolate in his hand. Great, now I had to witness my heart being broken.

I walked up to him, but before I could say anything, he startled me.

As he saw me approach him, a huge smile got plastered across his face. He extended his hand and offered me the rose and the chocolate too. At first, I could not quite understand what was going on. As the situation became clear, my jaw fell and my eyes widened. A smile replaced the dead expression on my face.

“Jason…are you…”

“Will you be my girlfriend, Claire?” He cut me off, and I was glad he did.

Brad was there now and he smiled at me from a distance. Jessica was jumping, and bullied Ashton into doing the same, which left him red faced. I smiled at Jason and blushed, “Yes Jason! I love you!”

Jason moved forward with a smirk to hug me, but his expression suddenly stiffened. I wanted to ask him what the matter was, but before I could, he yelled.

“Claire! Look out!”

I stood in my place clumsily, as he gripped my arm and turned me around, such that our positions were exchanged. I heard a bullet, and Jason started to breathe heavily. This was when I understood everything. Those rascals were after me again. But Jason put his life at stake and saved me. Again.

He thumped onto the floor with a thud, and his eyes narrowed slowly. I started to cry and sat down beside him, begging him to get up. Befor losing his consciousness, he did whisper something.

“I love you too…”