"She's just being sensitive," Eren said, resting his head on her shoulder. "Aren't you, Kat?"

"Sure," Katerina muttered, crossing her arms over her chest as Petra continued her braid. 

This was just one of the ways she had allowed herself to become part of the squad, and in all honesty, she didn't mind Petra as much as she did initially. The bubbly woman never took anything Katerina said to her seriously, every negative comment or witty insult she received would be thrown back with enthusiasm and charm.

Sometimes her positivity would make Katerina queasy, but no one could stop Petra's insatiable charm.

"So, you've finally given in, I see," Eld teased as he sat down at the table next to them in the mess hall, Gunther and Oluo along with him. Katerina rolled her eyes as she grabbed a piece of stray bred from the corner of his tray. "Hey!"

"Sorry," she explained through a stuffed mouth. "But getting your nerves numbed by dainty hands works up an appetite."

"There's no need for you to complain anymore because I'm done!" Petra cheered, shoving a shiny spoon in Katerina's face.

"It looks fine," she commented, holding the spoon at various angles around her face. In reality, she was pleasantly surprised and impressed with Petra's skills. 

The wild untamable mess of her hair was now neatly organized with several small braids wrapped around her head leading to one final thick braid. It reminded her of how her mother would braid her hair Sunday mornings before Katerina would take off to the Yeagers' place. An overwhelming sense of nostalgia and grief hit her at once. 

She bit back the memory and grinned grimly. "Thanks, I guess."

Eren had been holding a spoon in his hand which landed with a deafening clank on the mess hall floor, his mouth hanging open. Eld and Gunther were mid-bite as they stared at her and Petra looked as if she had just won a fortune.

"What?" Katerina snapped, slamming the spoon down on the table.

"Oh, Kat!" Petra yelled, throwing her arms around Katerina. "I knew it wouldn't take you long to become one of us!"

Katerina allowed Petra to hold on to her for a few seconds until she pushed her away, a small blush appearing on her cheeks. "Don't get too excited, Petra. I'll still strangle you with my cloak if I have to."

Petra muttered some witty remark and jumped away from Katerina, a smile teasing her lips. 

At that moment, Levi entered the mess hall and Katerina noticed the bags under his eyes as he gingerly made his way to his squad.

"Captain!" Petra and Eren said in unison, both shooting up to acknowledge his presence, the eagerness in their faces irritated Katerina. Unlike the others, she stayed rooted to her seat, munching on the bread she had stolen from Eld.

"Everyone finish up," Levi ordered, not sparing any of them a glance as he picked at his cuticles. "We're headed to the castle. Be ready in fifteen minutes."

With a curt nod, Eren and the squad began to clean up and head out of the mess hall to pack their things. As the doors swung closed, Katerina stayed rooted in her position. Levi rolled his eyes and took a seat across from her.

"I'm assuming you heard me?" he asked, condescension laced in his tone. Katerina only nodded in response. Levi huffed and stood up. "Well then, don't be late."

"Wouldn't dream of it, Captain," she replied sarcastically, with an eerily wide grin on her face.

Levi rolled his eyes once again as he walked out of the mess hall, trying to forget the image of her smile, as static filled his chest.