Chapter Thirty-Nine: Meet The Family

Two years ago, James flew a then 19-year old Michael to his parents’ Long Island home to meet them. Nerves were flying everywhere. It was her first time ever meeting any of her boyfriend’s parents and it was James’ first time he’d ever introduce his parents to her.

Marshall and Ellie Francis. Marshall, 59-years old,  a first generation German, Criminal Law & Enforcement lawyer. Ellie, 53-years old, was a homemaker from Alabama. James had a reason to be nervous—he knew how his parents were like. Mike only knew that his parents were conservative so she straightened her wild, curly hair and wore a black sheath dress with a sweater around her so she could cover her breasts.

When they arrived at the Francis’ home, James rang the doorbell, awaiting for someone to open the door. After a couple of moments, the door opened up to a tiny, blonde-haired, blue-eyed white woman—Ellie. Her eyes first fell upon her only son, making her mouth curve at the sides to form a smile before she landed her eyes on…Mike. If only you could hear the record scratch in her mind. What was this black girl doing with my son? was the first thing that  popped  into her head. Her smile lessened, but never left. It was all a facade before her son. 

“Hello, I’m Ellie, James’ mother.” She said.

“Hi, I’m Mike.” She said, reaching out to take her hand, but she was denied due to Ellie’s rigid composure.

She pulled back her hand and looked above Ellie’s head to see a tall, brown-haired, brown-eyed white man—Marshall. He walked over to the awkward scene at his doorway and stopped behind his wife.

“Ellie, aren’t you going to let them in?” His masculine voice said.

Unlike his wife, Marshall was actually friendly. She moved aside so she could allow her “golden child” and that “black chick” enter. The entire house was huge, well-built and designed. James and Mike both stepped in front of Marshall(with Ellie clinging to her husband—a sign to James in a way) so she could be properly be introduced.

“Dad, this is Mike. Mike, this is my father, Marshall.” He said.

Mike smiled and extended her hand to him, shaking it. At least someone likes me, thought Mike.

“Welcome to our home. James has told us a lot about you. His sister, Connie, and her husband and son are here too.”

“Lucas is here?” James asked.

“Yep, he’s been asking for his uncle all day. He’s probably right in the back now.” Marshall motioned to the backyard.

They were about to follow him to the backyard when Ellie stood in front of them.

“I would like to speak with….Mike…first—you know, just to get to know her better.” She said, forcing a smile.

They all looked at Mike, knowing and fearing what the conversation was goingt o be about. If there was one thing about Ellie, it is that she speaks her mind and isn’t afraid to tell anyone what she feels. She hates me, Mike thought. She forced a smile and nodded, yes.

“Good. I’ll see you boys outside. We’re just going to the kitchen, we won’t take too long. I promise.” She said.

As soon as the men left, she walked into the kitchen with Mike following behind her. She stopped at the stove, waiting for Mike to come to her. Mike stopped in the country-vintage-esque kitchen and stood before—who she assumed to be—her future mother-in-law. Tension was not even the proper term for this situation; fear and ignorance, however, was.