Chapter Seventeen: Friday, April 20th, 2012/ A New Day

4 years later

Friday, April 20th, 2012 

The Sun shone in my eyes as I parked on the curb.

I opened my car door, letting my booties step on the cement. I closed the door, looking around the neighborhood. Suburbia at it’s finest. Something I haven’t seen in almost six years. I walked around the car, stopping at the house. It was a fantasy home. White pickett fence, green grass, a rose garden full of red roses and a porch. I walked up the driveway, clearing up my thoughts. A nervous feeling, yes. 

I stopped at the door, preparing to ring the door bell. I mentally went over what to say, how to say it, and when to shut up. I nodded to myself. I stood up straight, preparing a smile, leaning onto the door to press the white bell.

Ding! Dong!

I leaned back, mentally preparing myself for what may happen. I stared at the door before it slowly opened. I smiled. When I saw the face that opened the door, the stranger I once knew and I both looked shocked. My smile dropped while my face was in a state of shock. I examined the body, looking up and down quickly. It blinked a few times.

“Michael? Michael, is that you?” He said. His voice as clear as I remembered. I nodded.

“What-what are you doing here?” He asked, confused as I am.

I opened my mouth, preparing to talk but soon cut off by the sight of Ms. Joyce. He moved over while she stepped closer to me.

“Michael! You’re here!” She said, hugging me. 

It took me a few seconds to grasp what was happening before I hugged her back.

“This-this is Michael?” He asked incrediously.

“Yes, boy! Now, move over and let her in.” She said, stepping back.

He stepped back, allowing me into the house. When I walked in, he closed the door behind me. He walked away from me, while Ms. Joyce and I followed. I entered a room with peach walls and tiles;the kitchen. There was a familiar figure sitting at the table. I looked around, glancing at him taking a seat next to the familiar person at the head of the rectangular table.

“Mike?!” The familiar figure stood up.

“Alex?!” I practically squealed, walking over to her as she stood.

I embraced her, although not as tight as she was hugging me. We pulled back and took in our features.

“How are you?” She asked.

“Fine. You?”

“Doing fine, you know.” She said. I nodded.

“Mike, baby, why don’t you have a seat?” Ms. Joyce said, pulling out a chair at the table.

I was across from him. He was eating his cereal, eyes on his meal. I looked at Ms. Joyce as she hunched over the stove. She turned around, walking over to him and motioning her hands to him.

“Have you met my son, Chris? He’s the one who opened the door for you.” She said, smiling. Shit.

“Yeah, I have.” I said, forcing a smile.

He looked up from his cereal, looking at his mother.

“You have?” She asked.

“Yeah, she used to be my patient at St. Samuel’s.” He said. More than that actually.

“Oh.” She said, nodding.

I heard a pair of feet walk over to the kitchen. A tall, slim, dark skinned boy walked in, stopping in front of me.