Chapter Thirty-One: Lip-Biting

Saturday, May 30th, 2009

“What are you staring at?” I asked, looking up.

He cleared his throat before talking.

“You look beautiful tonight.”

“Thanks.” I said.

I looked at his features, something I haven’t done at all. He really was handsome. He had those movie star looks; brown eyes, wavy, brown hair, tan skin. The waitress came by with our desserts in a tray. She gave James his slice of pie and then gave me mine. I watched as she smiled and tried to shamelessly flirt with him-again.

“Thank you.” He said at the gawking waitress.

I cleared my throat and watched as she shifted her eyes to mine. She took a hint and quickly left our table. I saw how James took it all in and simply smiled.

“How old are you again?” I asked.

“28.” My eyebrow went up.

“Why is a handsome, 28-year-old man like yourself doing with an 18-year-old college student?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I mean, what’s actually wrong with you? Mama’s boy? Player? On the downlow?” He chuckled a bit before answering.

“I’m definitely not a mama’s boy or a player or gay.”

“Then, why aren’t you in a relationship? I saw how those waitresses were staring at you and shamelessly flirting with you. It seems like women throw themselves at you wherever you go.” He flashed me a smile.

“Why isn’t a beautiful, 18-year-old woman like yourself not in a relationship?

“I asked you first.”

“I’m single because I don’t have time for relationships. I’m always working and relationships aren’t really my thing.” My eyebrow went up.

“If relationships aren’t your ‘thing,’ then why did you ask me out in the first place?”

“Because I think that you’re beautiful.” I frowned.

“How shallow of you to say that.” He licked his lips.

“If you think that’s shallow, I want to know your reason for going out with me.”

“Um…….” I said, racking my brain for a reason. 

“Thought so. I don’t think you go out with men who you aren’t physically attracted to.” I shook my head.

“Now, back to my question. Why are you single?” He asked.

“Relationships, for me, don’t last long.” 

“Same here. I tend to get bored easily.” 

“Same. So, if anything would ever happen between us, it’d probably a couple of days, weeks maybe, and if we’re lucky, a month.” I added. He smiled again.

I looked down at my pie, putting a bite into my mouth.

“Can I have a bite of your pie?” He asked.

I looked up at him.

“No.”

“Why not?”