Chapter 12. ~ Nathan.

Back in Los Angeles, the world finally began to smile at me again.

The things that had happened in the past few weeks were still very present to me, but I had found the right way to supress them completely inside me so it wouldn't hurt, after all, if she doesn't care about me, why should I care about her?  

I went out a couple of nights with the boys, always bribing the guard at the door of the place to let me go through . I had had an excellent time. I had met a lot of single girls and had even earned the number of a couple of them. My harmonies were getting better, as if getting rid of Ashley improved my life in some way or another: at least I liked to see it in that way.

Still, when I scanned the crowd around me always I seemed to see her face.

Jay and I had gone to lunch after the start of the turn of the others in the study. It was a sunny day in California, the type that characterizes the region. We decided to sit at the outside of a small gourmet restaurant we found near the offices of the recording studio. I could see my reflection in Jay's sun glasses and I bet he could do the same on mine. Beside us, people of all ages walking along the boulevard riding their bikes, skates or skateboards, always smiling and listening to music. A little further, we could see the palm trees moving to the sound of wind and the sand reflecting the sun, in addition to the dark Pacific Ocean.

As we read the menu, I heard girly giggles near us. I tried to surreptitiously turn around only to find some girls watching Jay and me with interest.

—We never pass unnoticed, do we? —Jay asked when he noticed it too, and I laughed low.

I turned back and motioned to the girls who were a few few feet of us to come over a little closer. After putting a little surprised expressions, they walked towards us and both Jay and I stood up.

—Hello, nice to meet you. —Said one of them and smiled shyly. She stuck out her hand for me to shake it, but I pulled her into a hug.

—Are you fans? —Jay asked amicably.  

—The biggest ones. —A brunette girl replied.

We did the usual: take pictures with all of them, sign autographs and try to know them a little. It was always good to know about the people who support you. After a few minutes, they had to leave, but not before saying goodbye with a hug and promising that we would follow them on Twitter.

Jay and I sat down again, and I put a face puzzled when I saw that Jay was laughing softly. —What? —I asked, settling down in my chair.

—It's amazing how much you flirt. —He began to read the menu again.

—I suppose it's something natural.

There was a moment of silence, until Jay continued the conversation. —I don't believe you when you say you're fine.

I was going to reply, but just then a waiter came to take our orders. We both told him what we wanted to drink and eat, and he immediately left.

I let air through the nose in frustration. —I'm not saying I'm fine, I'm just doing my best to try to get unstuck.

—It's not that I have favoritism or anything, but I think she doesn't deserve to be forgotten so fast, you know. —Jay said, and I knew that he had already entered the serious part of the story.

—I know, she's... —I stopped myself. I couldn't give myself the chance to think about all the many things that she is—. Anyway, I know I'll never forget her, but I can try to move on. —Jay was silent and I also stayed silent—. Maybe it was meant to happen, you know, this was never our strongest area. We had to get to a point where the two of us simply collapsed.