Chapter 3. ~ Nathan.

—Still no news from her?

It was a rainy and cloudy day in London—typical—and raindrops crashed against the walls and windows of the hotel, sinking the atmosphere with a stable and soothing noise. Outside, you could see how the sunlight was slowly clarifying, leaving behind it a gray color filling the empty city that shone with yellow and red lights. Black cabs and red buses flooded the narrow streets of downtown London, taking people back to the comfort of their homes after a hard day's work.

I twisted the ring that reflected the lights of the city on my finger. I took off my forehead from the window and looked at who was talking to me. Tom was taking a bite of the apple that was in his hand.

—Still nothing. I think I should call Roxanne. —I said, my voice an attempt of a sigh. 

—No offense, mate —Tom sat on the couch and took control of the TV to turn it on. The screen lit up instantly announcing the season finale of Britain's Got Talent—, but I think she wants her space. You should give it to her. 

That made me laugh a little inside because I thought of several things: a) Space? Why would she want some? I'm on the other side of the world. b) Although she wants space and begs for it, I would not, because c) I'm too stubborn and dependent and reliant. 

—I don't know Tom... I don't think that's it. 

I got up from the frame of the window and went to the room to get my phone. I quickly dialed Roxanne's number, I prayed that it was a good time in Boston and I put my hand in my pocket. She answered on the fourth ring.

—Hello? Nathan?

—Yes, hello.

—What a surprise! —She said, and I could hear the smile in her voice.

I tried to smile. —Yes, I know ...

Before there could be an awkward pause, Roxanne spoke again. —You're calling to ask about Ashley, right?

I was relieved that she knew it was because of her. Sure she knew what had happened and she was going to tell me. —Yes, the truth is that I have days without talking to her. Not to be annoying or anything, but you know how much I care...

—You are so protective —she laughed a bit— but yes, you have every right to be so. —She paused—. The truth is that I also have days without seeing her. We are going out for dinner tonight with Aubree and Josh, so I guess I'll see her today. And another thing, I heard that at her faculty it's exams season, so it's normal for her to shut herself up so she can study and concentrate only on that. Maybe that's why she hasn't called. 

I let out the air that was pressing my chest. —Why, thank you. I was starting to get a little paranoid.

—That's okay. I think you boys are all like that. 

After that we talked a little more about how things were with Josh and she said everything was fine. I said goodbye to her and let myself down on the couch next to Tom.

—Did you calm down now?

I smiled a little. —Yes, I think so.