Chapter 40

AVATIA'S POV

I never knew I could be this happy and forget about all my problems for a while but I did.  Mr. Black and I strolled round the park, talking about random things and all till we were the only ones left. "We should get going sir."

He frowned. "Avatia don't call me that anymore. Call me Dreidan or Dre. "

I sent him an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I bet Ana is gone already."

He nodded.

I took it as my cue to ask about his relationship with Ana. Their relationship seemed to be more than the usual boss-employee type. "By the way, you seem close to Ana, like she's more than just your cook and cleaner."

He held my fingers and entwined it with his as we walked to his bike. "She's more than that. Her elder sister was Nevaeh's best friend."

Ohhh. No wonder.  I stayed quiet and minded my business till we reached the bike. He handed me his jacket. "You should wear that, it's cold already and besides, when we start the ride home, it's gonna get colder."

I smiled and took it. "Thanks Dre." I wore it and wished I could own it. It smelled just like him. Mmhmm. I climbed on the bike, after him of course and this time, I made sure to hold him real tight and rested my head on his muscular back. I could sleep in this position.

The ride home was silent. Comfortable silence if I might add. I smiled as I thought about everything that happened today. I hope tomorrow would be better than today. When we arrived at his house, Ana was already gone. She'd cooked panzanella. Mr. Black and I decided to shower first before meeting at the dining room for supper.

I smiled and did my happy dance as I took my bath. I then wore my purple pajamas and a matching tiny top. I tied my hair in a messy bun and went downstairs. I wasn't surprised when I saw him sitting at the end of the table in all his glory, but what surprised me was the fact that he'd dished out our food and was waiting for me.

I took my seat by him and smiled. "Thank you."

He just nodded. No 'you're welcome'. "What's wrong?"

"Even though it's not a law, it's polite to say 'you're welcome' when someone tells you thank you." I explained to him.

He just stared at me for a while then smirked. "You're welcome princess."

I smiled then said my grace and took a spoonful of my food. "Mmhhmm. This taste so good. Ana is such a great cook."

He nodded. "She sure is."

We ate in comfortable silence till I decided to speak up. "You know, you're a very good artist. I can't get the paintings of Nevaeh off my mind. They're so good. You're so good. Actually, you're excellent at everything you do." I told him as I took a sip of my water. His eyes darkened. What's the problem this time again? "Did I say something wrong?"

He just kept looking at me in the eye and I flinched. He shook his head. "No. But it's the first time somebody has praised anything I've ever done. The first time."

You wouldn't blame me if I choked on my water, right? I started coughing and shockingly, he patted my back to soothe me. My eyes widened in disbelief. He's never been praised? "First time?" I managed to ask.

He sat back in his seat and nodded. "Yes. Growing up, my father never told me I ever did something correctly. I never did anything worth praises to him. I've never been good enough. I've never met his expectations, no matter how hard I tried. He always felt like I needed to do more and more and more. My brother tried to support me but he didn't get it easy from our dad too. Our dad never bonded with us."

I felt bad for him. That was such a bad way to grow up. Here I was, thinking he was the epitome of perfection whereas his father thought he was far from it. The way of the world! "I'm sorry Dre. But what about your mom?"

His eyes darkened even more. "I don't have a mom. At least not anymore. My dad killed her when I was four because she cheated on him with his enemy."

Oh my gosh. What a childhood. "Accept my condolences." I said then quickly changed the topic. "I'm so excited for tomorrow. We're painting."

I was relieved when he chuckled at my excitement.

"You know, back in New York, I always did my painting with Draya. She's the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I miss her so much. Kenny too, and mommy, obviously."  I was supposed to sound excited but my voice trailed off sadly. "I really miss them, especially mom."

I felt his hands on mine and I looked up into his eyes and gave him a sad smile. "I know you do. You'll see them soon. By the way, what did you enroll to study? What's your major? Is that how it's called?" He asked in a confused tone.

"My major is business management. Why do you sound like you didn't go through college to know it's called major?" I asked as I took another spoonful of my delicious panzanella.

He did not answer and I realized he did not touch his food either.

Dummy! What did you say this time? You always get on his nerves!

I looked into his eyes and noticed his eyes were clouded with sadness. "Dre I'm sorry if I said anything wrong. I mean with how successful you are, you obviously went to the best schools. Besides you're so intelligent."

He inhaled, then exhaled before speaking up. "I didn't go to school. I ended in eight grade. I had to join the mafia and school was going to be a hindrance. Father and Alessandro wanted me fully prepared and school was distraction. I didn't want to stop, but if I dared complain, I'll have gotten the beatings of my life from father."

My mouth hung low in bewilderment. "But you speak good English. You even speak three languages. How's it possible that you stopped schooling in eight grade?"

He gave me a sly smile. "Actually princess, I speak nine different languages." He stated proudly.

"Huh? Nine? Woah boyyyyy....that's awesome. And you're so intelligent." I told him, shocked at what I was hearing. Nine languages.

"I love school, I do online studies every once in a while." He stopped and stared at me, looking me in the eyes as if he wanted to see my soul.  "I'd love nothing more than to see you educated beyond words in life, princess. And that's why I'm making a promise to you right now,  whether you like it or not. Whether your mom likes it or not, I'll sponsor your education to the highest level.  Please don't say no. I want to do it. I need to do it. It would feel like I'm doing it for myself."

I shook my head in denial. Hell no! I couldn't accept such a generous offer, besides I didn't  want to be indebted to anyone. "No Dre. I can't and won't accept such. Break the promise right now."

He just smiled at me and started eating his food. Urghh! That means he's serious. I mentally face palmed. I didn't want him to be involved in my life that way.

We kept on eating till his phone rang. 'Jade'. I read the caller ID and I didn't know why, but I felt a pang of jealousy in my heart. He smirked and stood up. "Excuse me princess, I'll take this in my room." He said, standing up and winking at me, before leaving.  "Good night."

Believe it or not, he'd never said 'good night' to me and instead of my heart tingling in joy at this new achievement,  I couldn't help but feel irritated.

"Jade." I muttered under my breath. She just had to call and make him leave me. I rolled my eyes as I lost my appetite. "Whatever."

I really don't know why I was so pissed. I didn't know why I was angry or rather,  envious. But one thing I did know was that I wanted to spend quality time with Dre without any interruptions from his bed buddy. Urghh!

'Jade.'

_____________________________

Do I sense some sort of jealousy? Hmmm.....princess, wassup with you? 😂😂 You ignored his good night because of Jade.

Please leave a comment.

Love,
Thelma❤️