Chapter 53

Waves of amusement rolled off of Madara as the entire scene unfolded before them all. "So that was the brat's plan all along: to make you his successor," Madara muttered. "A final sacrifice to fulfill his wish to end this war with your name."

Madara couldn't keep the malicious grin off his own face as he jumped into action. He viciously attacked Kakashi, forcing the ex-anbu to move back to avoid critical damage. Madara then seized the fallen mask off the battlefield. He returned to Qui, who was still on her knees, tears flowing freely down her face. She couldn't tear her gaze from her dead uncle lying lifelessly in front of her. He was dead. 

"Get up. Don't waste my time."

Madara threw the mask at Qui's head, emphasizing the harsh order. 

His mask fell at her feet, cracks evident of its soon-to-be short lifespan, but its structure still in one piece. With unsteady hands, she picked up the mask he always stood proudly behind and slid it over her face. As she blinked away silent tears, her eyes changed.

This was his gift to her.

"He had to die himself to awaken your eyes," Madara added, glancing at the girl now owning his dead partner's mask and revealing her Sharingan. The mask was stained with dirt and blood, but she didn't care, only focusing on the new goal in front of her. Kakashi and the rest of the Allied Shinobi Forces would pay for killing Uncle Igo. 

"Madara-san, I'm going to win this war." This girl's current strength was strong enough to hold the Sharingan. Madara had to acknowledge that all the hard work Obito had spent, diligently building her up from before until now was excellent. It would be interesting to see the girl in action. 

Obito had certainly set her up for success. But now, it was time for her to stop holding back and run to the finish line, even if she had to paint it with her own blood. 

Madara's lips curled into a dangerous, bloodthirsty grin. "Indeed. Let's see just how good you are. Obito had faith in you. He gambled and betted on your future."

"I don't care what you're interested in. I just want all those Allied Shinobi Forces to pay for Uncle Igo's suffering and death." Her anger fueled her thoughts, and the desire to win this war for her uncle's death was a feeling she had never felt before. But she knew exactly what she wished for, and she was going to get it. 

"Oh?"

"If I win this war, nobody else would have to die! We would all live happily forever! Nothing would go wrong, and nobody would kill each other!" Qui seethed. "I know it sounds naivé and empty dream, but is it so bad to desire peace?! For the good of what? Free will?"

Madara grinned manipulatively, gears turning in his head as he evaluated the enemies before him. "Apparently it is indeed 'terrible' to desire peace over personal wants."

"We want to make our own choices," someone in the Allied Shinobi Forces screamed at Qui. "How would you like it if your free will had been taken away?"

"At least if everyone's free will was taken, then no one would die!"

"You're just manipulated!" 

"You're only a child!"

"SHUT UP!" Qui screamed, her voice cracking from frustration and emotion. Her voice was raw and damaged, evident the lack of water she had not consumed. "You don't--" 

Madara shifted his eyes over a split second to see Qui pressing her fingertips against her throat. She made a raspy, weak, and painful noise, signaling her voice was already pushing against its limit.

"Let's not waste any more time," Madara grunted, facing the Allied Shinobi Forces. The girl lost her voice. So what? He didn't need her screaming back and disrupting a flowing battle of sweat, blood, and tears. She may have been well built by Obito, but she was wasting that potential. 

"Should have gotten a better replacement," Madara continued. "I'll let you handle the left side." Qui only nodded, her voice now gone. Nothing to do but fight. 

Madara only turned away to face the right side of the group. "Watch your temperament, little girl. I still think Obito made a mistake picking you." 

Qui only sniffed a scoff, unable to audibly make the sound. She didn't care, but she sure felt lonely. Uncle Igo and the Akatsuki were gone. She had voluntarily left her family for the sake of listening to Uncle Igo. 

At the same time, while her choices were her own, one could argue that she had been pushed to make those decisions. She didn't have a life to begin with. 

And now, trying her best to be herself back fired on her. Those unfortunate circumstances left her to fight alone against a steep, up-hill battle all by herself. 

A creeping headache caressed the back of her head and rested over her brow, but Qui could only grimly face her opponent and stand her ground. Despite having been influenced by the soldier-medicine, she felt exhaustion seeping through her bones and draping over, trying to lure her asleep. 

Tears flooded her eyes, but she blinked them away stubbornly, letting them drip down her face. a dirt-stained back of the hand wiped them away as Qui ran forwarded, refusing to let go of her final chance of becoming free. 

She had to win. She couldn't stop here! Uncle Igo worked way too hard to let her fail now! She had fight back! Surely, Sasuke, Zetsu, or someone--anyone--would stand by her--

"Kurisani Qui, you're going down!" 

Qui watched more allies join up against her. One of whom was Sasuke, her distant cousin. Her parents was nowhere to be seen, and her old mentor Kakashi and Naruto faced her head on. Zetsu was missing from the battlefield and Madara wasn't going to help her. A horrific realization crossed her mind as she recognized her opponents and their massive numbers. 

Yet the most awful discernment was understanding that she was alone.