Chapter 31

Qui stood in the midst of her campmates, doing numerous physical workouts according to the trainers. Although they weren't training to become bodybuilders, they still went through extensive training for their bodies. 

"Laps, go!" 

Qui followed the group, sweat dripping down her face and soaking the t-shirt and sports pants she had. Every part of her body hurt. 

"We're going to break you apart and build you back together again, each part at a time!" 

Strength exercises, stretching workouts, aerobic dances and lectures and workshops of different class all piled on top of them. Forget anything about Chakra or ninjutsu, they needed core training!

"You need to forget everything you've been taught! Relearn everything!" 

Some trainers stepped in to help students push beyond their physical limits. Sometimes the trainers made small changes and corrected their position or posture. The other kinds of help were a Push Beyond Your Limits and Suffer. 

"Stretch with the pain, get that flexibility! In a pinned down situation, you should always be able to get yourself out and have the upper hand!" 

Weights of all kinds were another important training they all did.

"Pick those weights up with your core muscles, not your arms! That's why you're tired!" 

"You're not used to those muscles working hard, that's why you're weak!" 

Training didn't stop even when they weren't actively training. Although the campers were paired up in rooms with two beds, every single door was extremely heavy. It took them all quite awhile to even open one door and get to their rooms. 

After lectures were over, students had homework to do. The only way to find answers was to do the research themselves in a large library. However, these books were booby-trapped.

If a student took a book off the shelf, a trap is instantly activated, giving the students in the room a surprise attack of weapons. Some had needles and knives, while others had pepper spray bombs. All books were heavily trapped, so everyone was always on guard when they went to the library to study. 

Lectures were also important to stay alert. Multiple trainers stood in a line at the back and randomly threw weapons at students to dodge. Sometimes the lecturer would throw a kunai at a student to call on. 

"Those teachers are finding better ways to inconspicuously murder us all," Qui muttered to her roommate who chuckled but gave a wheezing sigh. Everyone was mostly quiet. Three weeks in of training camp and nobody wanted to talk. Everyone was always on guard and ready for an attack at any moment. Exhaustion was evident, but no one could rest properly. 

Food was great, however, was the one little mercy the instructors gave them. Each student was given their own custom diet and was to eat the right kind of food in order to build the muscles they need. 

"It's not building muscle and gung-ho, it's about developing a well-rounded fighter who can overcome any difficult situation."

Qui looked down at the vegetable stir-fry with bite-sized pieces of beef and chicken. A large red-colored smoothie stood proudly at her right and small, but intimidating wheatgrass shot glared back at her. She took the shot grimacing at the taste and tried to wash it down with the smoothie. 

Going back to bed seems like a good idea to anyone. 

The soreness in their body was ebbing away, bit by bit, and the stretching helped them raise their bar of flexibility. 

Fighting with trainers one on one also taught them to get up quickly. The intense bodybuilding and toning gave them more endurance than before. 

"Don't just hit willy-nilly! Make sure every punch connects like you mean it!" 

"Aim, think, and hit! Use your hip and legs to give yourself a kickstart!" 

"Be a smart fighter, not a roundhouse amateur!" 

Meditation was another class they all had. Learning to use positive energy and build confidence and calmness. 

"Don't be that reckless ninja who acts first and then gets the most hurt. Stay out of harm's way as much as possible." 

"Breathe. You'll are way too tense. Loosen up!" 

One of the most difficult skills to master was letting their body relax yet still be on guard for a surprise attack. 

"If you're too tense, you'll tire yourself out. Relax! Breathe! Inhale! Exhale! This is the fundamentals, so discipline yourselves! Work at it!" 

"How can you expect to use jutsus if you can't even control your own Chakra? Keeping your focus is key!" 

"You need to learn to walk before you can run!" 

Chakra control during meditation was another exercise they were to do. When they did weapon practice, they were advised to extend their Chakra to cover their weapons. 

Six more weeks trickled by for the students before they were put to the test and allowed to move on to phase two. 

With strengthed bodies and a stronger mind, the students were separated into Chakra element categories. Qui was put in the fire element along with a good number of other students.

"Let's take it a step further and teach you a couple jutsus! Weave hand signs accurately but smoothly. Visualize the jutsu, don't just expect it to work like magic! Now watch!" 

Qui quickly mastered the fireball jutsu, as she had been taught before, so the instructor in charge challenged her to sustain that fireball as long as possible. 

"Don't lose focus on what's happening around you. Don't concentrate on making a fireball as big as it can get. Focus on any oncoming attacks." 

Another fire jutus Qui was taught was the Flame Bombs. She was to gather oil in her mouth and simultaneously spit and ignite the oil on fire at the enemy. 

"The end goal is being able to shoot those bombs faster than they can blink. If you're too slow, you waste time, Chakra, and energy. Be smart about fighting! Be efficient!"

Working with fire came with its own consequences of course. Qui's mouth had burn marks, and her throat was vaguely sore and red.

"Make sure you take water frequently. Otherwise, you'll wear yourself out. Eventually, your body will build protection. But you'll need to work hard and endure that pain to get there first."

"The whole lot of you are in a good position, but not good enough," one trainer said, crossing her arms. "We will acknowledge your hard work and positive results of said progress, but we won't stop pushing you to your limits."

"Work even more efficiently! Don't drag your feet!"

"It's one less injury if you can be a second faster!"

Qui coughed up oil from her mouth in an attempt to master the flame bomb jutsu. Holding the oil without throwing up at the horrible liquid was a challenge in itself.

"Get used to it," her trainer said, handing her a water bottle. "You need to be able to steel yourself and take on the pain and suffering."

"Yessir."

This training camp actually was extremely helpful in helping each student reach the top. Their philosophy was efficiency and critical thinking. If a student can think quickly on their feet and avoid wasting time and energy, then the instructors have saved another life. Scenarios of life and death were often put against them, and more often than not, the students began to find ways to escape sticky situations.

"Concentrate! Don't be sloppy!"

Qui faced her instructor again, ready to attack with a fireball.

"Go!"