Chapter 2

"Congratulations, you've all made it well this far," Iruka Sensei praised, smiling at the class.

The past week was the final graduation exams. For six days straight, every day had filled with all kinds of reviews, both mental and physical. The majority of the students graduating this year were supposed to take the same exams.

However, a few exceptions had to make.

Rock Lee, who was incapable of fulfilling the ninjutsu exam requirements, was given a pass and instead, satisfied the demand for taijutsu under Guy Sensei's guidance.

Uchiha Sasuke surpassed the weaponry comprehension classwork throughout the two school years, so the student was given a pass during the exam days.

Naruto, just yesterday, failed the ninjutsu exam, but mysteriously earned a pass just last night. Iruka Sensei additionally came to school with a crutch, and Mizuki Sensei was mysteriously missing. 

"Although this past week, a few students had unusual circumstances, the directors and board all agree that you deserve to graduate from the Academy and start your new path as Genin!"

"Yes!"

"We made it!"

Cheers erupted from the students. Excitement could be felt from every corner of the room. Iruka Sensei let them celebrate for a brief moment before shushing them.

When Iruka Sensei called out of the classroom for an emergency call from another teacher, Lord Third and all the sensei who were to paired with Genin teams observed from the crystal ball. 

"Kakashi, you've got four Genin," a fellow Jounin said, reading off a clipboard. " Kurisani Qui, Uzumaki Naruto, Haruno Sakura, Uchiha Sasuke."

"The Uchiha survivor, huh?" Asuma muttered, lighting his cigarette. "Interesting..."

"Great."

"Team Seven: the Ultimate Genius and the class clown," Asuma continued. All occupants of the room stared at the large glass orb on the table, observing the Academy graduates. The glass orb showed Sasuke then move over to Naruto.

"Don't forget the other two girls," Kurenai said, nodding as the glass showed Qui and Sakura.

They watched Sakura fumble with the wooden puzzle Ino challenged her just a week ago, but she had yet to solve it. Qui, on the other hand, stared into space until Choji tried to balance a scrambled eight-by-eight cube on her head from the desk behind her. She snatched the puzzle away from him giving a few experimental turns, then swiftly worked to restore the scrambled cube back to its aesthetically pleasing appearance. In half a minute, she had regained the original form of the puzzle, tossing it back to Choji.

"They'll be fine," Lord Third said firmly. 

"Asuma, you've got Yamanaka Ino, Nara Shikamaru, and Akimichi Choji."

"As expected," Nara Shikaku murmured, causing Asuma to grin.

"Kurenai, you will be in charge of Hyuga Hinata, Aburame Shino, and Inuzuka Kiba."

"Hai!"

"And Guy, we already went through your Genin team--"

"No worries! I'll make sure to teach them well!"

Iruka Sensei returned to the classroom, more announcements at hand.

"I'll be telling your assigned teams, and your Sensei will come to get you guys. First! Team Eight, Hyuga Hinata, Aburame Shino, and Inuzuka Kiba! You three have Kurenai Sensei."

"I'm going to get Sasuke-kun on my team," Ino whispered.

"No, you're not," Sakura snarled.

"--Team Nine, Yamanaka Ino, Nara Shikamaru, and Akimichi Choji!"

"I've got them!?" Ino yelped in shock, staring at her teammates in horror.

"Nice try, Ino, Sasuke-kun is mine!" Sakura said smiling victoriously. Ino only groaned in despair.

Iruka Sensei looked over his list and continued down the line. "Team Seven, Uzumaki Naruto--"

"Yes!" said the boy shooting up.

"--Haruno Sakura--!"

"Yes!" Naruto cheered.

"No!" Sakura wailed.

"--Kurisani Qui--!"

"Who?"

"Double 'No'!"

"Mhm," Qui hummed. 

"--and Uchiha Sasuke!"

"No!"

"Yes, I win!"

"Mhm."

"Hn," Sasuke grunted.

Asuma raised an eyebrow. "At least they all balance each other out."

Kakashi stared the glass orb showing his four students. "If it's the boys who are the class clown and the genius, what about the girls?"

No one could answer. "You'll find out," Kurenai shrugged.

"Well then! I'll be going to collect my team!" Asuma sighed, heading out the door.

"Same," a few other Senseis agreed, heading out. Everyone left until only Kakashi and Lord Third were left.

"Then I'll head out then," Kakashi finally said, looking at the glass ball one last time. "No point in delay the inevitable." He nodded in acknowledgment to Lord Third before shuffling out quietly.

Naruto was a connection between Kakashi and his former Sensei, and Sasuke was a reminder of Itachi, his subordinate during his ANBU days. Qui and Sakura were the ones he didn't have any relation.

"Oh well. I guess I'll find out what they're like."