chapter 24

Painful memory lane..

Efua POV (continuation from previous chapter)

*******†*********

"Shut up! Don't pretend that you know me because you don't!". He got up and walked over to the bar. He picked a drink and opened it. Within five minutes, the bottle was empty. He picked another and yet another. Till he got himself drunk.

" Lucas look, we can actually have a beautiful life together, just untie me and...."

"Allow you to run so that you can call the police on me? He asked yawning.

"No, Lucas I can never do that to you. I really never hated you, it was your attitude then not you!" I tried to convince him to untie me but it was like flogging a dead horse.

"You're trying to deceive me right? You want to play on my intelligence. Well, you have failed. I remember what your stupid husband told me the..the..other day. That.. You can...never be ...mine! I am go..ing to teach him a...lesson today..I..am going...to make..you mine..NOW!

With that he rushed towards me like a hungry lion.

" No! Lucas please. Don't do this! Please, ple..aseeeeee.

All to no avail!

I struggled and struggled. With my hands and legs tied, I was like a warrior on the battle field without any weapon to defend himself. So I was defeated!

I was still struggling and screaming for help when someone walked in.

It was Efeosa.

He grabbed Lucas by his shirt and punched him hard on the face. And so they fought.

They fought for like fifteen minutes before Lucas hit Efeose on the head with the flower vessel that was on the table.  Efeosa gave a loud cry and fell to the floor.

Lucas who was covered in his own blood looked terrified as Efeosa fell to the floor. It was as if scales fell off his eyes.

"I..have..killed him" he cried kneeling besides Efeosa.

I crawled to where Efeosa laid still on the floor just as he was in my dream few hours ago.

"You killed him didn't you?" I asked like a lioness ready to attack its prey.

"Am sorry Efua believe me. Am sorry. I.did.not.mean.this.to happen, I swear. He wept like a baby.

" you came to my house, raped me and killed my husband and sit there swearing that...

"I raped you? When? How? I can never do that to you! Am not a beast. I have never raped any one in my entire life! I have respect for women, especially you..

" shut up and untie me at once!"

"No! I deserve to be punished for this, am calling the police. Before I could stop him. He picked my phone from the floor where it had been ringing all along and called the police, reporting himself.

" they're on their way here to get me". He informed me with tears in his eyes.

I was dazed.

I had this strong feeling inside of me that I was still dreaming. This must be a continuation of the nightmare I had a while ago. I thought to myself.

Then, the police arrived and apprehended Lucas who made no move to struggle at all. He was too weak and broken. As they handcuffed him, he motioned to one of the officers, "he's alive! He just moved his hand. I saw it. Please get help! I don't want him to die." He cried as the officer led him away.

At this time I was feeling dizzy. I heard someone screaming. It was Ese together with Temmy.

Temmy came close to me and said something but I couldn't hear him. Everything was still and calm again..blackout.

******†*****

That's all I can remember. How I got to this hospital I cannot tell.

I looked round the ward. Temmy was fast asleep on the long the long chair he sat earlier with Ese.

Something stirred up inside of me as l saw him. It was a sudden anger. Anger for all men! They are monsters.

I looked at him again. He was still sleeping peacefully.

I wished there and then that Temmy was not a man! He could have be a woman or a thing. Maybe a stone, a tree or anything other than a man!

Yet he was different! Very different.

My eyes turned to his direction again as he shifted on the chair. One could easy guess how uncomfortable he was. All for my sake.

Yet he's a man. So maybe I will take back my earlier statement and rephrase it to some men are monsters.

I felt so awful inside. What word can I use to classify how I truly feel. Can I say worthless, useless, a rag, or even a proustite as I have been called for years now?

Those names still couldn't convey how I felt. I had so many questions to ask but there was no one to direct them at.

Of all my curiosities. Only one question was most pressing in my heart. Why was I ever born?

The smell that goes with every hospital soon blew towards my direction and I felt like vomiting immediately. I have always hated hospitals. That was why I never studied medicine.

Here I was once again in pains. Unfortunately, this hospital cannot sooth these pains because they are not physical pains but inner pains which I knew was psychological... I needed help, but I don't want to be helped because I am tired of living!!

I shut my eyes again and lay still as though I was sleeping but I wasn't.

The door opened and someone walked in. I could guess who it was by the scent of her perfume.

It was Ese. She walked over to the long chair and sat quietly beside Temmy. Trying hard not to wake him but it was of no use as Temmy was already awake.

"What did  Dr. Richie say" he asked Ese yawning.

" she says Efua will be discharged later today. Her system was flushed immediately we got here yesterday. She's lucky that she sustained no injury".

"Thank God she's fine. I don't know how I would have taken it if something more serious like death had happened to her."

"It all my fault!" Ese said as she started to sob. All these wouldn't have happened if I had stayed awake to pick her call. But no, I was sleeping away my life...and..an..

"It okay. You know how much i hate to see you cry like this. It's not totally your fault. It could have happened to anyone. Am sure even Efua understands this. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Temmy said comfortingly.

"Any news about your brother yet?"

"Yes, he..he..is in coma."

Her sobbing increased and so was mine. Though I laid still on my bed with my eyes tightly shut, I felt my own tears freely and silently rolling down my cheeks.

Hmmnn! Thanks for Reading. This chapter was most challenging for me since I started writing this story. My imagination was difficult to put together here. Hope it makes sense at all?

Please don't forget to vote, share and comment. Thanks😘😘