Choices

Dear diary,

Things hasn't blown up yet but I can definitely feel the tension in the room. Jake is being weirdly nice to Sam, he even showed him how to play table hockey. Maybe he's going insane. I don't even know if I should be worried or not.

"This room still smells like Jack." Chelsea says falling over unto the bed.

"Whose Jack?" Sam asks from the opposite bed.

I smile. "Nikki's older brother. He's twenty two like Chelsea. He moved out after graduating my high school here. Then Nikki's mom turned it into a guest bedroom. Convenient for us I guess."

"Jack was an ass. He had this huge crush on me. Made my high school experience miserable."Chelsea snaps.

"Please, you were the high school queen bee. You became cheer captain your sophomore year because you were just that good. Boys worshipped at your feet." I respond harshly.

"And what did that get me? Twenty two year old still living with her parents, no boyfriend, following them around the country like we're the freaking Brady brunch."

Sam laughs. "well you have an amazing family at least. My parents treat me like a client."

"That sucks Sam."

The door to the room open. It was Nikki and Jake.

"Jace started a fake campfire in the backyard. We're going to tell stories and pretend all our lives are perfect." Nikki says.

I look at Jake who was avoiding my eyes. We had barely spoken over the past week I was here.

"Are you guys coming?" Nikki says pulling at my arm.

I nod. "yeah, sounds fun."

Jace didn't start a real fire i'm sure he's not smart enough to do that. He placed some logs around Nikki's mom small grill. That was our camp fire.

"Not bad Jace." Chelsea tells him.

"You guys underestimate me. I'm a survivor." He joked.

So the seven of us gathered around the grill. Kyle and Nikki would sneak kisses every few seconds. Jace was swooning over my sister. Jake sat on the opposite side of me which was weird because I was sure he was avoiding me. Then there was Sam who just sat there playing with my hand.

"Well is anyone going to start." Chelsea says.

"I want to know what's been going on since I left. Townies first then."I add on.

Jace looks around at all of us. "well I lost my vCard."

Our mouths fell open. "no way, to who?"

"Jennifer Linley at Mason Lockhart lake house party. We were just making out and then it sort have happened. It was unbelievable." he says. He looks like a little kid on Christmas morning walking towards the Christmas tree.

"Wow Jace, I'm very shocked." Chelsea says looking at him.

"So Mac have you and Sam done it?" Nikki asks.

I look at Sam who has a thin smile across his face. "No we haven't. We almost did but Mac stopped. "

"So your a virgin then Mackenzie?"kyle says.

And the award for worst friend of the year goes to...

"No I'm not. I slept with Jake before I left."

"You did?" my sister says looking wide eyedly at me.

I nod. "I did."

Shit.

"You didn't tell me that." Sam says calmly.

"You never asked and I was trying to forget after Jake dumped me."

"I didn't dump you. I simply suggested we take a break because of distance.I didn't think you'd move on so fast." Jake intervenes.

"Did you expect me to wait around all day for you? I couldn't. Sam was there okay. It happened and I'm sorry if I hurt you Jake." I say looking at him.

"Well I hooked up with someone too. I met her at the cafe we usually go to. at first it was just an autograph thing but then we started talking. I invited her over because I was lonely I guess. it was a one time thing, I didn't even take her number." Jake says staring blankly at the grill.

That hurts more than it should.

"I guess we've both moved on then." I say harshly.

"I still love you Mac, more than anything." He says. His eyes watered.

"I love you too."

He kisses me. It was so fast that I couldn't even react. Yet I didn't push him away. He was warm and his lips was just as I remembered.

"Mackenzie!" Sam shouts and I realize what happened.

"I'm so sorry." I get up from the log. "I can't handle this. it's too much."

I run from the backyard into the road. I could barely see. my eyes were flooded with tears and the night seemed darker than usual.

"Mac! watch out."

It was too late. Something hits me and I fall over. The car stopped. I could hear people screaming but everything became quiet after awhile. So quiet.