Healing

Jake gave up the teacher assistant spot. He never came outside, well at least when I was out there. He never called or texted me. He became a ghost. I missed him, I had to admit that. I missed his laugh, smile, and his big brown eyes. I missed his soft carpet beneath my feet. I missed him. Yet there was nothing I could do because I had done nothing. Sure I kissed Jace and maybe for a second I liked it. Then when I realized the reason behind it, I hated myself. I would never want to hurt Jake, never in a billion years.

“You haven’t been the same since you guys broke up.” Nikki said and wrapped her arms around mine.

I shrug. “It’s been two weeks Nikki, I have to move one. We weren't really together anyways.”

She puckered her eyebrows. “He came her for a reason Mac, fate. You guys belong together.”

“He dumped me okay. He was the first guy I’ve ever let in since my parents’ divorce. Love wasn’t meant for me.” I tell her and walk ahead. 

          Everything hurts. I want him. 

                                                            **********

“Hey” Jake says when I walk towards my door. I hadn’t noticed he was sitting on his porch. 

I smile but it quickly went away. “So you’re talking to me now?”

“I over-reacted, I’m sorry. I just like you so much that I didn’t want anyone kissing you but me.” He says and smiles quirkily.

I walk over to him. “It didn't mean anything. He knew you would see, that’s why he did it.”

Jake nods. “I missed you. I’m sorry for everything. I never wanted to give up on us Mac.”

I hug him quickly and wipe my over flooding tears. “Don’t ever give up.”

        I kiss him quickly and pull him inside my house. Mom was in the kitchen burning all the leftover food we had. Dad was a better cook than mom was. She was learning for a while but after the divorce, she pretty much gave up. 

“You must be the one always kidnapping my daughter.” Mom says walking over to us.

Jake laughs and shakes her hand. “Yes Ma’am, I’m Jake.”

She gave us the mom glare. “Keep the room door open.”

I pull Jake behind me. “You’re so embarrassing mom.”

         He slumped unto my bed and buried his head into my pillow. I found that weird since I kind of drool on it whenever I dream about him. 

“Can we lay forever? Just the two of us.” He says looking up at me.

I crawl over to him and rest my head on his arm. “As long we keep the door open." 

       We both laugh. It was good being together. It was hard being apart. When I wasn’t with him it felt as if something was missing. I was happy. I hadn’t been happy for a while but slowly my broken heart was healing.