To Love and to hold

I couldn't deny that the house in California where we moved to was incredibly beautiful. The neighborhood was quiet (not too quiet). Not the kind of quiet that scares you. My parents kept kissing each other and holding hands, all the sappy stuff that teenagers do. I couldn't decide whether to be happy, or incredibly angry at them for moving me here.

"Mackenzie." My father says handing me a box. "This is our home now. I know you miss him but if you guys were meant to be together, you will be."

I roll my eyes. "I guess you and mom were meant to be together. After everything that you've put her through."

"Stop acting like that okay. I will never forgive myself for hurting your mother but the past is in the past. the other woman, everything that happened meant nothing to me. You need to know that." he says softly.

I nod. "fine dad. I'll pretend everything is freaking perfect."

I walk into the house, throw the box unto the ground, and run to my room. since we arrived all that was on my mind was Jake. How was he feeling? What was he doing? It sucked not being able to hold him.

**********

"Seems familiar?" mom says pulling up to my new school.

I roll my eyes. "yeah, of when we were home, our real home."

"California is beautiful Mackenzie. you should be happy. You were beyond hurt when your father left. Now he's back for good." she says.

I get out the car and turn to look at her. "I wasn't mad that he left. I was mad that he hurt you. I know you think I'm this angry girl that's rebelling. No matter what I do or say, your my mother and I love you."

She smiles. "Oh Mac, baby I love you so much."

I put my head down to kiss her cheek. I wave goodbye before walking in the new school. I hadn't spoken to Jake in days. We hadn't gotten an house phone yet and the stupid plan I had on my cell phone refused to allow me to make calls around the country.

The school had mailed my class schedule and school map (the school is that big) to my new house. Dad had sent the address and his number the day after we got here.

The school was right by the ocean. The campus so large it seemed to have taken up the whole neighborhood. I kind of expected that since the school was both high school and middle school.

"Mackenzie, right?" the young English teacher says when I walk in the classroom. "I'm Mr.Lansen."

I look around the classroom. My eye catches the seat in the back of the classroom. Perfect. I didn't come here to make friends. everyone I needed was back home in Pennsylvania.

"You can call me Mac."

"Well Mac, welcome to our school."

I nod, smile, and walk quickly to the back of the class. I guess the school didn't get much new students. seeing that they were all staring at me as if I were a shiny new toy.

"You'll like it here." the boy in front of me says. he turns to look at me. He's so gorgeous, completely flawless. Why was he talking to me?

"Why is that?" I say.

"Pretty girls do great in our school. You'll be at the top of our social hierarchy in no time."

I smile. "I doubt it. I'm not really the people pleasing type. I bet your at the top. Captain of whatever sports team you guys have going on here. Beautiful cheerleader for a girlfriend. The cliche stuff."

He shrugs. "It's all about the image my dear. I'm Sam by the way."

"Mac."

"Like the computer."

"Funny."

I realized that second that I had a boyfriend. The perfect boyfriend. Flirting with someone new would get me nowhere because I would always go back to Jake. Yes this Sam boy is incredibly attractive. Yet I wasn't much for dating to be at the top of the "social hierarchy".I was perfectly fine being at the bottom with the amazing friends I had.