Fan Girls

By the next day since Jake T. Austin’s arrival, the girls in my town were going crazy. There were unmentionables all over his front yard. I laugh at the girls, how could he expect to have it normal anywhere? Jace was ignoring me; he’s such a jerk sometimes. 

“Mackenzie down here now” mom shouts from downstairs. 

I snarl at her, “Your shout was irrelevant, what’s wrong?”

She forces me a smile and hands me a piece of paper, “I need groceries, is that too hard for you?”

I laugh and walk towards the door, “no mom, stoners can do anything.”

      She gets ready to argue but I was already out the door. I wasn't a stoner, I never smoked or touched drugs my whole life. Yet my mom and sister had it pierced in their head that I was addicted. I liked seeing them upset so I went along with it. I was the way I am because of them. My life was perfect before dad left, but he ruined everything. 

“Mac!” someone shouts and I look up from the sidewalk.

Jake runs over to me, “where you going?”

“We've only spoken once Mr. Austin, we’re not friends.”

He laughs, “You can call me Jake Mackenzie. Plus I know this little attitude of yours is just an act, I’ll be here when you break out of it.”

    I smile but it quickly faded. Keep everyone out and your heart will never break. 

He grabs the paper out my hand, “let’s see, tomatoes, milk, and lady things. I didn't think you were old enough.”

I punch his shoulder, “why are you talking to me? There are millions of girls out there that want you; I’m not one of them.”

“Exactly!” he says and grabs a gallon of milk, “you’re cool around me, that’s all I want.”

I laugh, “well don’t get too comfortable, I’m bi- polar.”

        He laughs and pulls me around the market behind him. I didn't like him; I hadn't known him long enough to like him. Yet I knew I was glad he was here. He was kind and down to earth, not at all what I had expected. It wasn't that I expected every celebrity to be a jerk, just not this sweet.

Someone taps my shoulder causing me to turn around quickly, “Jace!”

He frowns, “grocery shopping with the celebrity I see, interesting.”

“I told him not to come okay, he followed me. Why do you even care?” I snap at him.

Jace smiles wittily, “I don’t, I’ll see you at school Mac.”

     I watch him walk away. Grrr! Why does he make me feel like this? Like I’m the worst person in the world. Sure Jace was perfect. His eyes were big and blue and his dirty blonde hair fell slightly over into his face. He was pretty ripped for a seventeen year old boy and he was sweet. But I didn't want him. I didn't care about how he looks, I needed a connection. Not puppy love that caused my mom’s marriage to end in divorce or my sister’s broken heart. I needed something real. Jace couldn't be that for me. 

Jake brings back a bag of tomatoes, “your friend looked pissed, and I’m guessing he saw you with me. I can’t blame him for getting mad.”

I narrow my head at him, “why is that?”

He smirks, “Your beautiful, you dress like you don’t give a crap and it makes you sexier.”

I blush, “I don’t give a crap, and I have to get home Jake. It’s great that you’re fitting in here.”

He grabs at my arm, “can we hang out again? Soon hopefully?”

I shrug, “we’ll see”

    I watch him frown as I walk away. This couldn't be happening. I've never imagined myself being on a first name basis with any celebrity. Not that I cared or pondered on it. Something was different, he made me feel different. I felt like a girl. I mean I've always felt like a girl but not one who got so excited over a boy flirting with her, not even if he was famous. Jake was different, I liked it.