Original Edition: CHAPTER 26 - ZYR

Start from the beginning

Irritation blinkered her expression. "Zyr, I get that you want to solve this thing, and I hate that my presence is a hindrance, but I have a right to be here. I'm helping! I'm not leaving this to the so-called 'authorities.' The last time my family did that, my missing father was found dead. They never got his killer, either."

I nodded with sudden understanding. Another cold case. That was why Mrs. Edison was adamant about wrapping up things sooner rather than later. "Did it ever occur to you Haley's psychosis could be driven by her concern for you?" I asked.

Aurie crossed her arms and gave me a blank stare.

I tried again. "Perhaps she knows you're here. Once you go to the Light, your Soul will be off the radar for Cyprian. Haley will gather you're no longer in jeopardy, even if it takes me revealing Overlay City to her."

"Yeah, okay, and Darcy will move on to his next victim, which could be her."

"Aurie, I would protect your family like my own flesh and blood. Cyprian will never hurt anyone else who matters to me!" At my vehemence, Aurie peered at me, and I reigned it in. "How much of this is about staying for Haley, and how much is about your fear of what happens when you let go of this world?" I asked gently.

She evaded my gaze and lifted a shoulder. "I've already let go of this world. You said so yourself. Notice the advanced powers and rapid descent into madness? Anyway, we don't even know how to find the Light. Mys was so certain this would work, and it didn't."

I gnawed my lip, studying her lost expression. She was right, and the uncertainty was deeply affecting her. It bothered me, too. Nothing was going according to plan.

Suddenly, Mys breezed into the flat with the attractive blonde from the pub on her heels. Bad timing. I yanked the comforter over Aurie's nakedness. With a tiny yelp and soft poof, the ghost disappeared, leaving us staring at the spot she had vacated where the comforter rustled flat.

"Invasion of privacy much?!" Aurie's indignant voice shouted from behind the bathroom door that she slammed. I covered a grin, wondering when she had mastered teleporting.

Mys' friend voiced her fascination, "I take it that was the ghost. This is the werewolf? Mitsuyo, you've been holding out."

"Mitsuyo?" I let the name roll around in my mouth. Mys was short for Mitsuyo. I liked it.

"I figured the coast was clear. How'd it go?" Using a hand to obscure the friend's view, the Empath pantomimed an apology. I approached with a grin as I finished buttoning my shirt.

"We'll talk about it later, Mitsuyo." When I said the name, Mys pulled a face. I paused and tugged the sexy being to my lips. There was an audible, lingering click. My tongue teased the partition of their mouth, and I imbibed the sweetest sigh from their recesses. Mys turned a faint shade of pink when I let go. "Favor for a favor. We're even now," I whispered.

"Thank you. I w-wanted you to meet—"

"Kittie Cad, enchanté." Her friend pushed forward.

I lightly bussed the back of Kittie's hand. "Zyr Ravani, the pleasure is mine. I believe we bumped into each other last weekend under less fortunate circumstances. I can't wait to meet you properly, but you'll have to excuse me tonight. I'm needed elsewhere."

Mys looked at me quizzically. I had questions for them, too. I was sure they had a valid reason for bringing a human into the fold, but we would discuss all this some other time. I jogged out the door and hopped on my bike, pulling my cellphone from my pocket.

When the line connected, I asked, "Still up, Maan?"

~*~

My mother had let herself into my townhouse. The delectable smell of chicken biryani greeted me when I opened the door. I kicked off my shoes and stealthily padded to the kitchen where Ajit was watching her cook. The dog barked, giving me away. Of course, my mother the Luna—born female pack leader—had already detected my presence.