Chapter 29

The One Where He Fucks Up

Grace

My jaw dropped all the way to hell. Ruin everything? I worshipped them as a couple. I told myself that one day, I would just have a relationship like Jared and Ashley's!! I have been living in a world of nothing but lies. I wanted to yell at Adam. I was fuming mad at him for lying to me.

You know that feeling when you know how it feels like being punched in your stomach? Now picture that, repeatedly, but this time, your best friend punches you.

Your best friend.

Why can't I just love a guy without any complications popping up like pimples on an adolescent's face? Mind my metaphors, they make no sense now, seeing that I'm in dire need of a good plan for tomorrow. I can't be Ashley's maid of honor. I'll never look her in the eye and say we're friends.

Just as I was falling for (insert adjectives that bring the same meaning to the words stupid, selfish, liar, idiot.) Adam, this happens.

"Grace!!! Gracie!! Let me explain first!!" screamed Ashley, who was already in tears. I got out of the house and she ran after me. I didn't want to listen to her explanation. She was right, I did have every right to be mad at her.

"We were drunk. It was New Year's Eve night. I think it was him. I can't be a hundred percent sure. I was really drunk!!! And I swear to god it meant nothing!!!" she screamed.

Oh, really? I wanted to cry too. It meant nothing to her? Well, it meant something to ME, for sure. A heartache. It was like breaking the "Bro Code" in How I Met Your Mother. (Switch it to "Sis Code", but it sounds so horrible.) Rule: You should never sleep with a guy who your best friend is in love with (or might be in love with, in case she was just too dumb to realize it).

Ashley did it, didn't she? Does Jared know? Because I couldn't bear to see him upset over this. He would not even be marrying Ashley for all I know. I drove to the bowling arena where Adam and the guys were at. I phoned him and he came out of the arena.

Looking as lovely as he usually does (minus the ego, the stupid grin where he just flashes whenever he thinks he's doing something right), he jogged out slowly towards me. "Grace, hey. What are you doing here?"

My eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. I was about to cry a Mississippi river of tears. "Adam, did you sleep with Ashley? Don't you even dare to lie." I pointed my index finger at him. "Listen, Grace.."

"Don't 'Listen Grace' me. I've had just about enough of your nonsensical pile of bullshit." I roared -- well, not technically roared like a lion, but I roared. He gripped my hands. I was so drunk, I couldn't remember who I slept with, Grace." "But you slept with my best friend, Adam. My best friend."

"And where does that leave us, Grace? I love you, Grace. I promised myself to never sleep with anyone else other than you. So, where does that leave us?"

I was already sobbing like a bitch while trying to make up my sentences. Then I said the unforgivable, "I wish you never left England."

*****

Adam

Ashley? I would never sleep with her. Honestly. I wasn't that drunk, was I? Even if it was a mistake, why did Ashley even tell her stuff like this on the night before her wedding? Gosh, is that what girls do during sleepovers? Tell their inner secrets as if it was the end of the world?

When I had my sleepovers at Jesse's, all we did was just talk about girls and boobs. And GTA as we get older. Whatever it is, I must try to sneak into my stepsister, Sara's sleepover (well she's just nine) to understand females. They do weird stuff during sleepovers.

HANG ON. I'm deviating from the topic.

I feel like writing a book about my relationship with Grace, because it is, dammit, a tough one to tackle, that lasted over the span of more than twelve years.

Topic: Whatever Happened

Confession #101: I did NOT sleep with Ashley.

Possible solutions due to a misunderstanding of subject #101:

1. Disappear to countries such as Maldives or China and don't step foot in L.A for another ten years just to see Grace married to some guy with a weird name like Napoleon. Dammit, she might even have like forty kids with a guy with a sexy name like that.

2. Go get a plastic surgery so Grace can fall in love with self all over again.

3. You are stupid. No, Ashley is stupid.

That's it. I can't do this. I can't loose her to some loser guy called Napoleon. She wished I never left the U.K., and that hurt me like a bitch.

I'm so in love with her. I want to marry her. I want to have a million babies with her. (Note to self: you're going to beat Napoleon Whatever who only decides to have forty babies with her.)

That's it. I want to marry her.

I want to marry Grace Anne Dion.

But how do I convince her that I didn't sleep with Ashley?

Honestly I have been staring at where I last saw Grace's car speeding away, thinking about this.

"Dude. You okay?" Said Jared.

"Need to. Ask you. Something."

"Right. Sure."

"Remember that night when.. okay, ten years ago. The night before I left for U.K.."

"That was the best night in my life." said Jared. Wow, if was as if many people were glad I left for U.K.. "What? You were happy that I left?"

"No, you self centered bastard. I fell in bed with the right girl and for once in my life, I did something smart." Oh. Right girl? I'd like to see where this is going. "You nailed Ashley, didn't you?" Jared blushed so deeply (kinda sissy for a guy though) and nodded.

Back then, people thought we were twins. we had the same short hair, same stubble. So that explains -- oh my god. No wonder Ashley thought I slept with her. The only difference is... EYE COLOR. And the fact that Ashley has been treating me a little differently since that awkward night... She could never look me in the eye, after all these years; that was totally well explained.

I still think I should publish a book about how stubborn the love of my life is. And name my son Napoleon.

Do you think it's so easy to walk up to Grace Dion's doorstep to tell her that she was wrong? No. Never in a million years it would ever work. What does it take to get someone as stubborn (yet beautiful) as Grace to listen to someone like me?

I can't just drive over, beg on my knees and tell her that I didn't sleep with her best friend, though technically I didn't. Flowers?

Seriously? Flowers at... crazy hours in the morning? For all I know she could be covered in her bedsheets, sobbing like it was the end of the world. And picturing me and Ashley making out. I could tell what was running through this woman's mind. Afraid as I was to just go over to her house -- I wanted to just kiss her senseless and tell her that it was all just a minor misunderstanding.

Consequences? Jared will find out that Ashley thought it was me who slept with her. He'd probably punch me and kick me out of his wedding reception.

Worst scenario: Jared might not even be marrying Ashley.

Call me a loser, but I didn't want them to get married at first. At first, just because I didn't believe in love and those bullshit, yada, yada, yada. Now it doesn't seem like they're going to get married at all if I tell him the truth. Grace? I just really, really, love her.

Do I just mess up my relationship so Jared could be happy? He is, my best friend after all. I love him.

I'm such a fuck up.