Chapter 5

The One Where The Dog Wins The Argument

Grace

"How can you not be hungry?" cried Ashley.

"I'm sorry but food doesn't seem really appealing to me right now. I'm so tired. Besides, I need to feed my dog." I said.

Yup, spot on. I have a dog and he is the most adorable being ever. His name is Jumbo and he's a German Shepherd. So far the dumbest dog I've ever known. After Adam left for England I've decided to get a dog. It never occurred to me that I still have a soft spot for dogs. It just felt RIGHT, taking Jumbo in. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

"You're not anorexic or anything, are you?" said Adam.

Why does he even need to worry about me?

Get a life, dude.

I rolled my eyes and said, "Nope. I eat like a fucking piranha." He looked a little stunned at my comment. I was laughing hysterically deep down but I didn't want to laugh aloud. I love sarcasm. Yeah, he might date models -- correction, marry models who eat only beans and drink diet drinks but I enjoy food. It makes me happy, but I wasn't going to have a late lunch with Adam. If he wasn't there I would've tagged along with Ashley and Jared.

So I've decided to head home, with a growling stomach.

After parking my car in the garage, I went into my house. Well, Ashley used to live together with me since we've started work but now that she's moving in with Jared -- officially, I assumed that I have the house to myself. However, she does come home sometimes just to hang out or discuss some work with me; this house is like her retreat.

I walked to my doorstep and opened the door. Jumbo came out to greet me, as usual, with his tail wagging wildly.

"Aren't you the sweetest thing ever?" I said as I bent down to hug him. He barked slightly with delight. I chuckled. I'm not lonely; I have the cutest and dumbest dog on earth and I love him to bits. I have been single for a long time, but I didn't mind. My work was swallowing up all of my time, so I didn't really have time for a man in my life, though there WERE a few. But most of them are just one night stands. A "serious relationship" was never in my dictionary. I gave up on the word "marriage" some time ago when I found out my father cheated on my mother just about a year ago. I haven't spoken to my dad for the longest time ever because I couldn't see myself forgiving him. Imagine the amount of hurt he caused to mom.

And so my mother decided to divorce my dad. GREAT MOVE, mom. Something I would've done too. She tried rekindling their relationship but it just... wasn't the same as it used to be. So she decided to divorce him. I strongly supported my mother and was always by her side when she needed me.

To hell with my father.

********

Something wet and slimy tickled my feet. I shook my feet, slightly. Then I felt a hot breath on my feet. My eyes fluttered open.

Jumbo was trying to wake me up. I checked my phone for the time.

7pm!!??!!

I've slept for almost 2 hours!! It actually proved how tired I was. And how HUNGRY I was. Wait, Jumbo must be really hungry, too!! I must be the worst dog owner on earth. He wagged his tail, looking at me with his cute puppy eyes. I gave in.

"Sorry, boy. Dinner time." I said, getting up to fill his bowl with dog food.

Just as I was feeding Jumbo, my doorbell rang. Now who could it be this time?

I jogged slightly to my door and opened it, just to find Adam with a bag of... food. My stomach grumbled.

"Were you sleeping?" said Adam as he looked at my hair.