Chapter 24

Alina stared at her reflection in the large mirror which was trimmed with white and gold detailing. The reflection looked like a painting; in the background the beautifully designed guest room looked heavenly, and with Alina standing right in the middle, she blended right in. The dress she wore was nothing short of what she expected; creamy white and angelic. And barely covering her chest. Small bits of fabric clung to her skin enough for her breasts to be covered, but the sheer material left nothing short for the imagination. Oh, she remembered how Ares had talked to her that night, and how he eyed her body in the lounge. Apollo even said that sex was something that the gods reveled in, even more than humans, because of how they magic reacts. She was surprised that the dress had any material at all, but she wouldn't be surprised either if she showed up to the party overdressed compared to the other guests.

 She was surprised that the dress had any material at all, but she wouldn't be surprised either if she showed up to the party overdressed compared to the other guests

It was a beautiful dress, she couldn't deny, but a small part of her missed the rich and vivid taste of the Underworld. She nearly scoffed at herself. She missed the Underworld. There was no denying that either.

No matter how warm the air, no matter how close Apollo came, she still felt cold. A deep part of her felt hollow in his absence—the intensity of his presence. It was something she realized while staring at the mirror for five minutes now. It was something she realized while finally being alone with herself; with her thoughts and the quietness.

A soft knock at the door drew Alina out of that deep part of herself. She walked over to it, the soft flowing fabric of her dress brushing the white wooden floor.

She opened it and peeked out. Apollo stood politely outside, his hands behind him and his shoulders back. He really did look like a Disney prince; his honey blonde curly hair combed neatly into waves, his creamy gold tunic fitted elegantly along his toned frame, and a fine golden cloak flowing from his shoulders.

"Ready?" A flash of perfect teeth eased Alina's clenching stomach slightly.

She breathed in deeply, glancing down at her dress. She shrugged. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Apollo eyed her, a soft smirk playing at the corners of his mouth. "You look divine, Alina."

Heat rose in her cheeks and she smiled nervously. She didn't feel divine. She felt like an exploding ball of nerves. Going to a party full of immortals? Immortals that she only knew existed till seven weeks ago? Great. Just great.

But here she was, going to an the Olympian party hosted by the goddess of love with Apollo at her side.

He extended his arm to her. "Shall we?"

——————————

"Why do parties here start so early?" Alina asked as they walked down the marble path. In the distance hanging off the side of a ledge stood a marvelous marble palace. Aphrodite's, Apollo had informed her.

"Because we party for as long as we can." He glanced slowly over at her, a devious grin on his mouth.

She raised her brows.