Chapter 13

Alina stared at the ceiling above her. It was now 4 o'clock in the afternoon, 3 hours after the encounter in the garden with Atropos. And with Hades.

She replayed the events over and over in her head. Ever word Atropos said, every tone, every meaning behind them.

And then there was Hades. After he left her in the garden, she just stood there in shock, unable to move and inch, not even blink. To see him flip the switch.... her brain was scrambling to pick up the pieces of itself.

Still, even after hours of combing through every encounter she had with him, she still had no clue why he still cared that she live or die.

Hades was smart. She could see it behind his eyes; cold and calculating. Calculating every outcome of his carefully chosen words, and deciding which one will be the best profit. To not reveal what he did not wish the other to know, but just enough to get the desired outcome. He had shown vulnerability; the confidance in her on the balcony about Persephone, the small bits of empathy through the determination in his voice when assuring her not to give up. But why he fought for life, she still had no clue. Why did he care? Why care enough to risk pissing off the Fates? If Apollo- a purebred Olympian- warned her about them, they must hold enough power to get him to do so. And even Hades had mentioned that Atropos rivaled him at the beginning for his spot as ruler of the Underworld.

Her thoughts were cut off when a small British voice chimed, "miss? Are you ready yet?"

Alina sat up with a frown. "What?" She watched Bea walk into the room and then freeze when she saw Alina on the bed. Her hair was disheveled and she wore loose casual clothes.

"Alina!" Her voice was startled and angry to Alina's confusion. "Why aren't you dressed!?"
Bea ran to the closet and flung it open, rummaging for clothes and a pair of shoes. Once she got out, Alina was still on the bed with a puzzled look. "Oh gods. Don't tell me you didn't remember."

Oh. My. God. Alina's eyes flew wide open when she remembered. The meeting.

"Shit." She said.

She flew to the bathroom and sat down quickly as Bea followed behind to do her hair. Hastily, she managed to brush through it and pin it up in a braided crown atop her head. At the same time, Alina fixed up her face by covering the tired circles under her eyes and plopping on a dark rose color to her lips and cheeks. As good as it's gonna get.

Bea returned to the bathroom carrying a gown and shoes. The dress was marvelous; sleeveless, dark cherry silk with an open back.
"Bea you have amazing taste, but I really don't think showing this much skin in front of the Olympians is the best idea. Especially since I have never—met them all." Her voiced wavered. She was literally going to meet all the gods. Mother above, help me.

Bea chuckled. " Trust me, you're barely showing off skin in god standards. But you shouldn't be complimenting me for the outfits you wear."

"What do you mean."

Bea huffed with a small smile. "Well, I didn't pick out your dress, I never pick them out."

Alina wasn't following. She just gave Bea a look.

"Hades does."

Alina went rigid. "What?"

Hades picked out her dresses? For the ball? And for this? Her cheeks flushed at the thought. "Why?"

 "Why?"