eleven

kalani

Don't ask me why I decided to see this plan through. I don't know why I do half the things I do for Jess. She's one of my best friends, and I don't know, I guess I owe her a lot.

I've done a lot of stupid stuff for her, but this has got to be, by far, the dumbest decision in my part. Moving to a whole new state, one I've only been to for dance competitions, just to take revenge out on a girl who decided to make an enemy out of my best friend. But if you make an enemy outta Jess, trust me, you've made one outta me too.

However, convincing my mother to move all the way out here was not as easy as I'd hoped. I begged and pleaded for nearly a month before she even considered thinking about it. Luckily, in the end, she believed that my dance trumped all and moved us two out here. I do feel somewhat bad, though, leaving my two younger brothers and my stepfather along without any females to guide them. Of course, my mom doesn't know the real reason I wanted to be out here. She would never approve of it.

Truth be told, I'm not too nervous to start dancing for the ALDC. I mean, I know most of the teacher from the Ultimate Dance Competition, and Maddie and Mackenzie are like sisters to me. Not to mention, I'm well aware of the fact that I'm talented. I know I have great presence on the dance floor. It's something I know I'll always be able to count on.

Letting out a sigh, I lean down to attempt to stretch myself out in the den before class begins. I'm the only one in here, as everyone else probably already in class. The producers told me to wait before coming in, something about dramatic affect. I bend down into my side split as the den door opens. I jump a little, before Mackenzie pops her little brown head of hair in the door.

"Hey Kalani," she whispers, quietly tip-toeing into the room. "You ready?"

I nod, pulling myself and making my way over to my dance bag. "I guess. I just hope this goes good. I really don't wanna let Jess down."

Mackenzie tilts her head to the side. Jess is so right, it really is shaped like an apple. "Why are you doing this? I mean, we all really appreciate it, but I know Jess can be a handful. And it can't be easy just moving all the way out here just for this."

I let out a heavy sigh, pulling my ballet shoe over he heel of my right foot. "(Y/N) is your best friend, correct?"

Mackenzie glances down, picking at one of her fingernails. "I mean, yeah. I kinda screwed up, but I hope one day she can forgive me."

"And you're doing all this to get revenge for her? To make things up to (Y/N)?" I wonder, knotting the laces of my left ballet shoe.

"Yeah, I'd do anything to get her friendship back." Mackenzie mutters, pointing her feet every few seconds.

"Maybe I'm doing the same things," I tell her, "maybe I'm doing this to make things up to Jess. Maybe I feel like such a crappy person, and I'll do anything to earn my best friend's trust back."

Mackenzie's naturally thick eyebrows contract together at my words. "What? What did you do to Jess?"

As I finish lacing up my shoes, I turn to face her. "It's nothing important, just that you should know where I'm coming from. Now, c'mon, ready for me to make my grand entrance?"

Mackenzie cracks a grin, looping her arm through mine. "Ready as ever."

As we prance to Studio A, I can faintly hear Abby's words through the door. "Even though (Y/N), no one is safe. Especially you, Eliza. You're still new, and you still need to be challenged. And that's exactly what I've brought for you. A challenge."