nine

I've known Kalani Hilliker since my first ever dance competition

I don't recall much from that day; besides forgetting my solo and sobbing in mother's arms. But after the competition wouldn't let me take another stab at the dance, a petite girl with chestnut colored hair gave me a hug and told me it was okay to mess up sometimes. That girl was Kalani Hillliker, and she's still to this day one of my closest friends.

We've remained friends through a lot; through some fights and drama, and maybe even a boy or two. But nothing compared to how strong our bond was.

When Kalani was on Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition a few years back, I thought I had somehow worked my way into the girls' circle. Maddie and Mackenzie were somewhat close with her, and I thought if I just tried hard enough, I would somehow end up on the team.

Long story short, that didn't happen.

But nevertheless, I'm still just as persistent and stubborn as I was back in the day, and luckily Kalani knows far too much about that. Unfortunately for her, she was actually a big piece in my game of attempting to ruining (Y/N)'s life. She went along with plans that never went through and embarrassed herself in the process.

So you can imagine my shock when she told me that she would take part in this little scheme of mine. She claimed that it was more thought out and far better planned than my last one. Not to mention she was unfortunate enough to cross paths with Eliza at a dance competition a few years back and...let's just say they aren't exactly the best of friends.

So the Revenge Squad (cleverly named by yours truly) find ourselves planted outside of a cheap motel my friend is to stay in for the night. Jake shifts back and forth between his heel and the front of his feet. I hear Maya nervously picking at her fingernails. I notice Levi occasionally glance at me, though abruptly whip his head in the other direction when I turn to peer at him. And Mackenzie taps her foot nervously against the cheap beige rug we're standing atop of.

"Stop," I command everyone. "Just stop. Stop looking stupid. If you look stupid, you'll embarrass me in front of her."

"I've known Kalani for awhile," Mackenzie tells me. "She won't care."

I roll my eyes and proceed to knock on the door. It opens only a few moments later, revealing one of my favorite people ever.

She doesn't appear too different from the last time we saw each other. Her hair, maybe an inch or two shorter, sits in a half-bun atop her head. Her light eyes are covered by a pair of thick-rimmed black glasses, and she simply wears a black tank-top and grey sweatpants that appears to be a size or two too large.