Thirty-Two

Before we leave, I find my mom in the crowd to tell her I'm heading out. Tucked in the corner by the bar with a glass of wine in hand, she reminds me to be smart and to not stay out too late, but she doesn't fuss. I spot Lindsey and Ian together as Duke and I walk out, and I wave to my sister from a distance.

I don't see my father.

The two of us are silent on our way to Duke's. I can't vouch for what's going on inside his head, but I know mine's a mess right now. Part of me is still ready to come clean and tell Duke everything, but part of me is still extremely hesitant.

I'm still battling with myself when we arrive at Duke's house.

"Hey." Dukes voice is soft, his touch even softer when he wraps his hand around mine. "You okay?"

It takes me a moment, but I nod, offering a timid smile. "Yeah."

He squeezes my hand. "Let's go inside."

The porch light is on, but so are a number of lights inside. When we step through the front door, Duke leaves me briefly to step into the living room, and I wait quietly for him to return. Even from here, I can hear Duke speak softly to his mom, and although I don't catch every word, I sense that Anne's replies are kind.

"Listen, she could really use....personal....issues....just trying to help," Duke murmurs, his words broken up with the distance and low volume.

I can't make out anything distinctly when his mom speaks, but I immediately pick up the sound of two pairs of feet coming this way. I force myself to plaster on an expression less disturbed than how I feel.

Anne comes into view first, her son just a step or two behind her. She's wearing an old shirt and a pair of sweatpants, obviously dressed for a night in, and suddenly I feel even more uncomfortable and out of place in my bridesmaid's dress. "Hi, hon," she says, and the warmth in her voice makes it seem as if the two of us have been old friends for years.

My smile is small but it's genuine. "Hi, Anne. I'm sorry to disturb you-"

"Nonsense, dear," she cuts me off, waving away my concerns. "Let me just get you set up in the spare room upstairs." She bustles up the steps a moment later.

I don't know what Duke told her, but the fact that Anne has no problems with me being here warms me inside, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I turn to face Duke, who has taken to leaning against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest. "Thank you," I tell him quietly, honestly.

He cracks that half smile of his and reaches out to me, pulling me in for a solid embrace. "You're welcome." His arms wrap around my back while mine settle around his waist, and for the longest time we stand there just holding each other like this, not speaking. Eventually we pull apart, and Duke guides me up the steps with one hand pressed to my lower back.

Anne is coming out of a room I haven't seen yet when we reach the top of the stairs. She smiles again at me and moves aside, gesturing for me to walk in.

"I put some fresh sheets on the bed for you, and I left an extra throw folded up at the foot of the bed in case you like extra layers," she says gently, interlocking her hands in front of her. "I also left you some clothes of mine, but I'm sure Duke can give you something else if you would prefer that instead. He can also help you out if you'd like to shower before bed."

"I really appreciate it, Anne," I say. "Thank you."

She touches my arm, squeezing it lightly. "Of course, hon." Then she sidles past me and heads back downstairs.

Sitting down on the edge of the bed, I use my shaky fingers to release my hair from the pins clipping it back. "What did you tell her?" I ask Duke hesitantly.