Twenty-Eight

I'm not surprised to find myself consumed by nervous knots once we all settle in the restaurant. Ian is still trying to keep Lindsey calm as her pregnancy hormones rage on, Mom and Dad can't even look at each other, and Duke hasn't stepped away from my side for even a second.

"So Duke," Mom begins, reaching for her wine glass, "how do you know Lacey?"

"I see her around school," he replies easily, his hand brushing my leg as he shifts in his seat. He's left out how we see plenty of each other outside school. "I'd say we get along pretty well."

Mom looks to me for additional conversation on the topic, but I just bite my lip, focus on my menu, and hold back my commentary. Lindsey watches me from across the table.

"I think the better question is how she managed to rope you into this wedding," Dad pipes up suddenly.

My head snaps up to look at him, and I don't like the steely gaze he's got trained on Duke.

Duke swallows, pausing before answering. "I'm afraid I don't understand, sir," he replies carefully.

"She doesn't really do relationships often," Dad says, nodding his head at me," so what could you possibly owe her for this?"

I flinch, face burning. I wasn't expecting him to start something like this so early, regardless of if I have dirt on my father or not.

"Rob," Mom hisses, swirling her wine around nervously. "Now is not the time."

"Sorry," Dad bites, shooting Mom a look. "Guess I put the blame on the wrong person."

I bite the inside of my cheek.

Duke straightens up in his seat, his hand settling on my thigh. The contact is oddly calming. "With all due respect, sir, how your daughter carries herself is not under my control or my concern, but for what it's worth, I don't owe her anything. I'm here because I want to be."

Warmth builds in the pit of my stomach at his words, and I relish in the satisfaction of shutting Dad up for the moment.

"By the way," Duke adds, clearing his throat and turning to Lindsey and Ian," I didn't get the chance to offer my congratulations to you both yet."

Lindsey's face glows with pride and happiness, and Ian is happy enough to see her smiling. "Thank you," Lindsey gushes, squeezing her fiancée's arm. "It's all finally happening."

Mom coos, Dad's scowl softens slightly, and I chew harder on my cheek. I've got this feeling more is about to come out of my sister's mouth.

"So just how well do you know Lacey, Duke?"

My gut feeling was right.

Duke grins, unaware of how observant Lindsey is. "We've gotten pretty close," he says simply. Despite the fact my father's probing attack is no longer a problem, his hand hasn't shifted from my knee. The angle of his arm is hardly noticeable, but unfortunately for me, Lindsey has zeroed in on it like a hawk. She only looks away to make eye contact with me when she leans in to speak, her voice pitched low.

Dinner may have just started, but I've had enough.

Pushing my chair back, I stand and straighten up to my full height. "I need some air."

Before anyone can argue with me, I spin on my heel and stalk away as fast as I can while keeping my composure.

This is embarrassing. Not only is it apparent that neither of my parents can stand to act like they don't hate each other, but I'm also being thrown into the mix. It's shameful to think my father looks at me the same way my peers do, especially with Duke right there to witness the drama as it unfolds. It's even worse to have Lindsey prying into my personal business.