Thirty

"Oh my god."

Breathing hard, I drop on my back against the bed. With my arms stretched out, my fingers work at the tangled sheets, plucking and pulling at the material as I work to catch my breath.

"Fuck," Duke pants, rolling over next to me. His sweaty skin glistens in the pale light of his room.

I made it almost a full twenty-four hours before I had to get out of my house again. The first person I called was Perry, but upon getting his voicemail, I tried Duke.

Duke never misses any of my calls.

It didn't take long for things to become physical between us; truth be told, it never does. The two of us are such physical people that when we collide, it's an experience so surreal and unexplainable.

Kind of like how I'm feeling right now as I struggle to find words.

Duke swears again, obviously in the same boat as me. He cranes his neck just enough to drop a kiss on my bare shoulder.

A shiver runs through me despite being overheated.

Exhaling deeply, I sit up and reach for the nearest item of clothing, one of Duke's shirts, then slip it over my torso.

Arms wind around my waist, drawing me back into a sturdy chest. "Mhmm, don't do that," Duke murmurs against my neck, planting a row of kisses to that exposed skin.

"I shouldn't even be here," I whisper softly, breaking free of his hold and scooting over to the edge of the bed. "You know I shouldn't be here."

"Who cares if you should or not," he mumbles, flopping backwards and throwing his arm across his face, covering his eyes.

That's the only part he's bothered to cover up.

Twisting my gaze away, I grab at my panties on the floor and slip them up my legs, then wriggle into my shorts. With my shirt and bra in hand, I pad into his bathroom to freshen up and change into all my clothes.

Duke is waiting for me when I step out, fully dressed unlike him, who stands clad only in a pair of boxers. "Don't go back yet."

I roll my eyes. "I have to."

"You don't want to," he reminds me carefully, meeting my eyes. "That's the whole reason why you came here in the first place."

My stomach flips. "I need to go."

Duke pinches his nose, breathing in deeply, before he allows me to sidle past him. "At least let me drive you."

I touch his arm. "I'll walk."

"Lacey-"

"No, Duke," I insist firmly. "My dad already has issues with you as is. If he's there when we pull in, that will only make things worse." My volume softens dramatically. "I need you to make it through the front door tomorrow."

His only response is to swear under his breath, but it's enough to show I've won this argument. I let go of him but he grabs me before I get too far, bringing my hand up to his mouth to kiss the inside of my wrist.

"I'll be there."

A wave of confidence washes over me, and I leave his house with my head held high. My head is still high when I get home and find Mom awaiting me, rushing to finalize last minute details.

"Lacey, honey, could you run these out to my car please?" Without waiting for a response, Mom thrusts a box full of name cards, napkins, and other paper products all designed delicately with Lindsey and Ian's names.

"Sure," I mumble, fumbling with the box while I shove my shoulder against the screen door. It opens, but not because of me.

Perry stands sheepishly on the other side, holding the door for me with one hand while the other is stuffed in his pocket. "Hey, Lace."