Twenty-One

It's been a few weeks.

I've graduated high school, and I couldn't be any happier. The place has been a nightmare anymore recently, what with everyone suddenly either watching me or shunning me, and an immense weight has been lifted off my chest knowing that I'm finally free from where most of that originated from.

Now that it's summer, Mom is starting to realize just how short on time she is for planning out Lindsey's dream wedding, and even more so how she's short on hands. Dad's gone again on another business trip, so he claims, and she's left to handle it all herself again. Even with the two lovebirds and me to help out, I can tell the stress is really starting to wear her down now, and it breaks my heart. That is, the parts of it that haven't frozen over and hardened yet, especially with Lindsey nagging me all the time. She's getting bigger much faster than before, and it's reached that stage where there's no pretending any longer; Lindsey has not just gained weight like I've been trying to tell myself.

Home life may not be the best right now, but outside life is certainly looking up, especially when it comes to Perry. Though he still spends an incredible amount of time each day entirely devoted to Angela, he's found time for me, and not just when I'm supposed to be the awkward third wheel. We've fallen back into our normal rhythm, and I couldn't be happier about that.

Except maybe things are a bit too normal.

Sighing, I rub my eyes and shake my head, crossing my bedroom to lock my door, preventing anyone from coming in. That is a dangerous road I do not want to go down and think about.

Peeling off a layer because of the growing humidity outside, I decide to stick with a tank top and shorts, my signature sneakers laced up tight, and I twist my hair into a loose bun on the top of my head for comfort's sake. Then glancing at the door once more, straining to listen in for any sounds from elsewhere in the house, I slide my window open and climb over the ledge, slowly lowering myself to the ground via the trellis. Halfway down the side I jump and land with a soft thud, the sound dulled by the soil packed into the ground. I listen carefully again, checking to see if anyone noticed my escape, and hear nothing.

So far so good.

A thrill zips through me, making me smile in spite of my attempts to hold it in. Lately I haven't really had any reasons to sneak out, and while I really don't either tonight, I still love the idea of a chase where only I know it's happening. I've missed the rush it gives me.

I've also missed the added rush I get from successfully sneaking out with something in tow. In tonight's case, it's a bottle of wine that Mom won't ever notice missing. She probably doesn't even realize I've learned how to pick the lock on the alcohol cabinet doors considering I don't do it often. Of course, tonight is a special occasion.

I've got a date with Jesse that I'm running late for.

----

"What took you so long?" Jess grumbles when I finally show up in his backyard. "And why do you insist on always climbing over the fence rather than go through the gate like a normal person?"

Grinning at him like the Cheshire Cat, I make sure he's ready before I toss him the bottle of wine from my casual perch at the top of the fence. That's precious alcohol I don't want to lose. "Normal is overrated," I drawl, rolling my eyes at him before starting down the fence backwards.

I've hardly gotten anywhere before I feel his hands on my waist, the heat of them warming me through my clothes. "Easy, tiger."

"I climb these kinds of things constantly you know," I point out, jumping down the rest of the way once I've almost reached the ground. "How else do you think I managed to get out of my house with that?" I gesture to the bottle of wine now resting at his feet from where he put it to assist me.