Fifteen

Teeth chattering, I cross the street to my house and bolt for the trellis. With shaking fingers, I reach up and latch onto the sides of it, then slowly begin the process of pulling myself up inch by inch.

Duke and I stayed in the water, swimming around and splashing each other, until it got pretty dark out, and with the darkness cold, too. When we finally got out and pulled on our clothes, still wet, Duke offered to give me a ride home, and considering how fast I felt chilled, I couldn't resist, so I just had him drop me off down the road to avoid being caught.

It may be getting close to summer, but some nights like tonight it sure doesn't feel like it.

I finally reach my window and, throwing it open, crawl into my bedroom. Shivering, I rummage around until I find some warm, dry clothes to slip into for the night, then I step into the room attached to mine.

The perks of having your own bathroom-- you can wash dirt and swimming hole water off without being questioned about why you smell like the woods.

Once the shower gets hot enough that steam is visible, I slip behind the curtain.

"Is that you, Lacey?" Lindsey calls from outside the bathroom door.

Great. Just what I wanted to deal with right now.

"I'm in the shower!" I call out, hoping to ward her off.

I hear the door open and shut instead. "Did you just get in?"

The downside to my own bathroom-- I have to share it with Lindsey now that she's back.

"What the hell, Lindsey?" I snap, yanking the curtain away from my face enough to glare at her through the steam. "I said I'm in the shower!"

She glances over at the counter, where my dirty clothes are in a messy heap. "What were you doing that made you get so dirty?" She wrinkles her nose.

"I went to the Hollow, remember? I told you and Mom earlier before I left. Now get out!" I snap, wiping away the soap threatening to get into my eyes.

She props her hands on her hips, undeterred. "Were you with that boy?"

Huffing in annoyance, I shut off the water, knowing I won't enjoy my shower any longer, and wrap myself in a towel. "Please, Lindsey," I grumble, irritated, "you aren't Mom, so stop prying like you are."

"I'm just trying to look out for you, Lacey," she argues, sighing. "I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"You're looking out for me?" I laugh bitterly, throwing open the curtain and tugging the towel closer around my form. "That's rich coming from you, considering you're never around."

Lindsey's eyes narrow at me. "I just don't think what you're doing here is good for you. Lacey, it's not smart to just sleep around with anyone, you know."

My temper flares. "How dare you lecture me on things you don't understand?" I hiss, jabbing a finger at her accusingly. "Contrary to what you think, I am not a slut, Lindsey, so don't accuse me of being one!"

"Did you sleep with him again?" She demands, waving her hand around in the air. "That guy. Did you sleep with him tonight?"

Clenching my jaw, I narrow my eyes at her. "No."

And it's true. I didn't sleep with Duke tonight at the Hollow, but if conditions had been better, there's a slight chance it may have happened. What with our little skinny-dipping moment, we were pretty close to taking it a step further.

Her eyes search mine, looking to catch me in a lie.

For once, I'm not.

Lindsey sighs and backs up a step. "Just please be careful. I don't want to be an aunt at this age."