Chapter 1 - Ruby Rose

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

Legends. Stories scattered through time. Mankind has grown quite fond of recounting the exploits of heroes and villains, forgetting so easily that we are remnants, byproducts, of a forgotten past. Man, born from dust, was strong, wise, and resourceful. But he was born into an unforgiving world. An inevitable darkness, creatures of destruction. The creatures of Grimm set their sights on man and all of his creations. These forces clashed and it seemed the darkness was intent on returning man's brief existence to the void. However, even the smallest spark of hope is enough to ignite change and in time, man's passion, resourcefulness and ingenuity led them to the tools that would help even the odds. This power was appropriately named "Dust." Nature's wrath in hand, man lit their way through the darkness and in the shadow's absence, came strength, civilization and most importantly, life. But even the most brilliant lights eventually flicker and die. And when they are gone...darkness will return. So, you may prepare your guardians...build your monuments to a so-called free world but take heed...there will be no victory in strength. But perhaps victory is in the simpler things that you've long forgotten. Things that require a smaller, more honest soul.

The shattered moon of Remnant glowed in the night sky. It was quiet in Vale. A bit too quiet for the average citizen's taste. A man in a white suit and dark brown jeans wearing a black bowler hat strolled with his goons through the streets of Vale, scaring off any innocents that stood in their way. The leader was none other than Roman Torchwick, perhaps the most vile criminal on Remnant. He fondled the gray and red cane while taking a puff from his cigar while walking into a Dust shop called "From Dust Till Dawn." Roman and his goons wearing similar suits and red sunglasses with black top hats entered the store and walked up to the old man at the register. All of them gave a...less than subtle glare at the old man. Roman walked forward and took the cigar out of his mouth, waving it around a little.

Roman: "Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a Dust shop open this late?"

One of his men to the left of him pulled out a gun and pointed it at the old man, who raised his hands up in fear.

Old man: "P-please! Just take my lien and leave!"

Roman: "Shhh, calm down, we're not here for your money."

Roman turned over to the men on his left and spoke swiftly and coldly.

Roman: "Grab the Dust."

The men opened a briefcase they had brought and removed several black canisters from it. They walked over to the Dust dispensers on the wall and extracted all they could. One of Roman's henchmen stepped over to the old man and held out a container to him.

Henchman: "Crystals. Burn. Uncut."

The old man reaches into the display case at the register and removes a red crystal of Dust and places it in the container. Another goon walks over to retrieve more Dust from the dispenser, but glares as he sees a little person in a black dress and boots, brown pants, and a red cape with the hood over their head. He then takes out a red sword and aims at the child.

Henchman: "Alright kid, put your hands where I can see 'em."

The kid does nothing as the henchman glares at her harder.

Henchman: "Hey, I said hands in the air! You got a death wish or something!?"

The man walks over to the child and removes the hood from the kid's hair, revealing said kid to be a girl with silver eyes and short red and black hair wearing red headphones. She turned back to face the man. She simply looked at him with confusion and curiosity. Roman's associate, already irritated by the girl's ignorance of what was going on, pointed to his face to signify what was transpiring. The girl took off her headphones and turned around to face Roman's goon.