Chapter 48

My hands shake the entire way to the throne room. I would feel reassured if the guard bothered to answer my questions about the crown prince or about the courtyard or the entire status of this court but with every question I ask, he separates himself further from me. With a mouth clamped shut, he stops at the open doorway to the throne room and gestures with an open palm for me to walk in.

Alone.

The king is sitting on his throne, tapping on the golden armrest. His crown is tall, intimidating, and the exact reason I hate coming in here. Just the looming presence of what he is topples my strength and shoves it back into a hiding spot. I don't stand a chance against him, not with his power, his age, or his immortal strength. As king, I am to bow.

My back stretches as I bow at the waist and slowly rise. My eyes were too busy staring into the king's deepest, darkest eyes that I didn't notice Renit sitting on his throne. I haven't seen him here since my parents lost their heads. I'm standing in the nonexistent puddle of their blood.

Out eyes meet, only for a second, before I drag mine back to the king. Unlike the ruler of this great kingdom, Renit opts for keeping his crown in his chambers.

There aren't any scratches on him, he looks relatively healthy—if not tired. Unlike the normal, professional prince, he slumps to the side in his throne and rests his chin on a fist. I wonder if he knows how Silas is faring.

The king smiles down at me. The expression doesn't meet his eyes. "Created quite a mess, didn't you?" He inquires with that sickly grin.

I nod. Choose your words carefully. "I want to apologize for starting the fight and creating such a mess in your courtyard. I didn't mean for it to escalate to that extent. I'm sorry the princes were involved and I hope—" My eyes drift to Renit who hasn't moved, "—I hope the crown prince is faring well."

The king lets out a 'hmm' from the back of his throat. I have absolutely no security in what that means. "There will be no punishment for what you've done, Renit received it last night."

My blood runs cold. I stare at the prince on the throne but he doesn't meet my eye in fear of going through the same thing we did last time, the guilt and the argument. Renit received another punishment because of me and this one was much worse. The healers wiped away all of it, down to the last cut and bruise. I wonder how his face looked once his father was done with him.

I ache to reach for him but with the wall the king created, separating us, I must stay where I am. This is not over, the stench of fear blanches through the room not only from Renit but from me, as well.

"I watched your fight, every second of it. From the moment you delivered that first blow to Darius to when you collapsed after finally Grounding my son's power." He twists one of the gold rings on his fingers, in the shape of a skull. I gulp. "Congratulations on that."

Renit doesn't tell me what to do, not with his eyes, as he's too busy thinking about the fate of his brother to give me any signal. He was beat; he doesn't owe me anything. "Thank you," I say hesitantly.

"Now that I've seen what you can do firsthand, I understand the strength of your power. Although underdeveloped, you took out my entire courtyard and if it wasn't for Grounding the prince, you could have taken down this entire castle. That is a great power." The king dips his chin low. "With my son's storm, you two make an excellent team."

His eyes flash with excitement. I didn't expect this. I came in here thinking I was to be punished for what I did but...the king is thanking me. A terrible thought flashes into my mind, that of Renit being knocked to the side from a blow to the cheek—delivered by his father. I squeeze my eyes shut to try to remove it.

"You are aware of the talks of rebellion, are you not?" The king asks. I nod quickly. Whispers, not talks of rebellion. Renit hardly shared anything worth value. "Fosux Mines has been underneath the threat of rebellion for some weeks now and I believe it is time for the two of you to test your strength. I am sending you and the prince on a mission to retrieve information, prisoners, and the rebels themselves. You will leave tomorrow, at sunrise, and however long you take—that's how long you will stay. I will not allow you to fail this mission, young witch, and my son will make sure of that. You are to protect him, he is to protect you, you must work together. Do you understand?"

Everything hits me at once. A mission in Fosux, with Renit, outside of the capital. I will see part of this kingdom I've never dared step close to. Fosux is full of ratty criminals and innocents unable to stand against the dungeons or in the deadly prisons keeping evil criminals hostage.

Those rebels are fighting without power. From what I know, they're simply using tactic and brute strength to get what they want and that makes them even more dangerous. Witches in blood but mortals in their skill. My body shivers and the entire sensation travels up my spine in a snakelike pattern.

I realize they're both waiting for my answer. "I understand," I say quickly.

The king smiles. A real one this time. "Very well. You are dismissed." He waves me off with a hand. I breathe a sigh of relief. I won't die for what I did and no one will be punished further but Renit deserves every bit of love he can get from taking that punishment for me. As I turn on my heel, wanting so badly to skip out of this haunting throne room, the king clears his throat. I know it's meant for me. "I do have to remind you that if you come back with nothing, I will punish you for what you've done to my courtyard. This is your redemption. Please me and your life is yours."

I turn towards the two of them. Apology flashes in Renit's eyes. "You have my word, my king."

Those are exactly the words he needs to hear because he grins wide. That is the first time I have said he is my king, not the cruel leader on the throne. If only he knew that 'my king' was not the true words out of my mouth.

As I saunter out of the throne room, my spine straight, I begin to think of this mission. Tomorrow. We leave tomorrow. When I'm on the king's side, nothing can hurt me.

 When I'm on the king's side, nothing can hurt me