Chapter 44

Like every morning, the kitchens are bustling with activity. The wooden tables are stocked with guards, servants, courtiers, and other guests still here from the engagement celebration. I scowl at the thought of him now, at the thought of his arm wrapped around my back—holding me tightly as we danced. Even though it wasn't long ago, that night feels like a distant memory.

I walk into the kitchens and nod at Dalis, who gives me a confused look. "What are you doing here, girl?" Mills asks as he appears from the closet carrying a bucket of apples. I can already smell the pies baking in the oven. Apple, my favorite.

Marinating in cinnamon, a bowl of sliced apples sits on the counter. My mouth salivates at the sight. "I thought you might need help today. I wouldn't want to leave you unattended," I offer.

They exchange a look but Dalis shrugs. "Fine by me, as long as we don't have to pay you. Come, you'll assemble the pies," Mills orders. He ushers me over with that wrinkled hand and I do as he says.

For hours, I lose myself in the craft of rolling out the dough for the pies, my arms straining, and put that rolled out dough in the pie dish. Mills compliments the steadiness of my hands and even bothers to tell me I have the opportunity to be an excellent baker. That's the first compliment I've received in months, other than Renit telling me my eyes are bright.

Conversation dies in the kitchens by the hour. My stomach growls with hunger but I don't want to stop and face the cold reality of the world, even after Dalis leaves because her shift is over until lunch. She discards her dirty apron on the hook, bids her farewell, and strands me with Mills who finally ushers me out once my hands are clean of cinnamon.

I take a plate with me and fill it with cold breakfast foods. This will be enough to soothe the hunger in my stomach until the end of the day if I can eat it all. In Arego, I could barely eat enough at one point and now, after so many meals, my stomach can tolerate much more.

Only a few residents litter the tables now, either sitting by themselves or with one or two people. I scan the kitchens, my eyes falling on Darius sitting at the edge of a table, picking at the food on his plate. There's no better time than now to make amends. With a sigh, I slide my plate onto the table and plop myself down to the bench opposite of him.

His violet eyes look up at me and with a grin, he nods. "Come to hit me with another tray, Aimrey?" He asks.

"No, just figured you might like some company," I respond, already digging into my food. He watches me carefully without a hint of that familiar smugness I've grown annoyed to over these months. I still can't stand him but it'll be easier, down the road, if we learn to hate each other with dignity.

He studies the bandages on my arms and raises a brow. "Did Renit get too feisty in the bedroom?"

"No, that was my fault." It's a lie but I don't feel like explaining myself to another person. Dalis asked me quietly what happened, and I told her every part, only because she's trustworthy enough to never tell another soul. Mills is the person to start a riot if he knew the truth. If there's even a scratch on Dalis, it becomes a game of how long she can withstand his questions before losing her mind. "A little mistake." I poke at the potatoes with my fork.

"That doesn't look like a mistake. Did Renit do something?" He slides the fork across his teeth, looking all too interested in the gossip I might share.

I shake my head convincingly and he nods, dropping it. When my knee shakes from the inability to sit still, I hope he doesn't notice. After a moment of silence in which the only sound is us eating the food on our plates, I clear my throat. "Listen, I wanted to apologize for trying to...kill you that day. I lost my temper when I saw you with Celestine."