Chapter One

Chase McGill had officially become the odd man out.

All the lost time he'd planned to make up for was disappearing as quickly as the cinnamon rolls he'd bought yesterday from the Daily Donut. Chase didn't begrudge his fourteen-year-old son, Wyatt, the opportunity to get burgers after school with his friends, but it only proved Wyatt's life had gone on without him. For the umpteenth time, Chase wished he hadn't wasted three precious years in prison.

All for his stupid pride.

He sighed then texted Wyatt to have fun and stay safe. This would be Chase's first Christmas in Lake Endwell, Michigan. He'd been living there for ten months, and as of last week, he'd successfully completed his parole. He was free. But free to do what? His former life as an NFL player was no longer an option, and he was too young not to have a job. The one thing he'd been considering probably wasn't even an option given his criminal record.

The doorbell rang. Must be Drew. Another person he'd desperately missed when serving his sentence. Chase could never repay his best friend, Drew Gannon, for raising Wyatt while he was in prison. He loped to the door, opened it wide. And did a double take.

Courtney?

Long, pale blond waves tumbled over her shoulders as snowflakes danced around her. Her dark blue eyes twinkled, and the white puffy jacket she wore hugged her slim body.

"Surprise?" She tilted her head to the side and opened her hands, but worry lurked in her expression.

Chase swallowed his shock. Courtney Trudesta had actually taken him up on his invitation. The widow of his former NFL teammate, JJ Trudesta, Courtney had faithfully written Chase letters every week while he was in prison and even after he'd gotten out. Her letters had been an anchor, a lifeline, a reminder he was more than a felon.

The letters had stopped coming a few months ago. He had no idea why. But after finding out from a mutual friend that Courtney's mother had died, Chase had called her, inviting her to spend the holidays in his guest cottage.

She'd declined.

He didn't blame her. What woman would want to be around him after the mistakes he'd made?

But here she was.

"Come in." He waved her inside. "What changed your mind?"

Several inches shorter than him, she shrugged, a soft smile playing on her lips. "A lot of things. Do you still have room for me?"

"Of course I have room." He winced. He'd forgotten about Treyvon. Drew and his wife, Lauren, had connected Treyvon with Chase a few years ago. Like Chase, Treyvon had been serving time, except the kid was in juvie. They'd shared their stories through letters. After Treyvon got released, he'd had nowhere to go. No way to support himself. No family or friends to turn to. Chase had taken him in. Treyvon was part of his family now.

"I'm imposing, aren't I?" Courtney took a step back, but Chase caught her hand, easing her inside.

"No, I have plenty of space. Three empty bedrooms. Each with a private bath. As for the guest cottage...remember how I told you about Treyvon Smith? He's home for Christmas break. He feels more comfortable having his own place, so I let him move into the guest cottage. I can ask him to bunk in one of the bedrooms, though. Then you can-"

"No, no, I couldn't ask you to do that." She shook her head, all that hair swishing. "I shouldn't have just shown up. I should have called."

He widened his stance, crossing his arms over his chest. "I have tons of room. And we won't be alone, if that's what you're worried about. Wyatt lives here, too, not that I've seen much of him lately. The kid is the busiest high school freshman I know."