Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Beth was in her training outfit, Dean and I were in our outfits as well.  We went alpha force towards Beth and she held her own for a long while.  Until Dean decided to use full strength against her.  When Beth started giggling while Dean was tickling her I relaxed, relieved that Dean didn't hurt Beth.  

"Can I see you and mommy fight?"  Beth asked.  "I wanna see the force of two guardians going at each other, prepare myself just in case I ever go up against one as well."

Dean and I looked at each other in shock.  I averted my gaze to Beth.  "Sweetie, why do you think you'll have to fight a guardian?"

Beth smiled.  "I just want to be prepared for anything thrown at me.  You and Dad can't protect me forever.  I wish you could but you can't.  I think the three of us know it too."

"Honey, we're hoping that you'll find your mate before you actually have to fight someone,"  Dean said.

"I want to help win this war,"  Beth whined.  "I'm your new daughter.  I will become a social outcast at school if someone found out you guys were my parents with the reputation you guys have."

"Maybe the next war we get in,"  I said.  "We can't teach you everything you need to know in three weeks.  We got a lot more going on, planning, training ourselves, teaching you, making sure to find a safe place for werewolves that are unable to fight."

"But I can fight!"  Beth argued.  "I fought Dean at a full Alpha strength and won!"

"Yes,"  Dean admitted.  "That's why we need you to protect Mina and others that aren't strong enough or can't fight the war.  You will be getting some violence in.  You will be our last line of defense.  The thing about it is werewolf love to prey on the weak.  No one would expect a little girl to pack that much of a punch."

Beth's face went bright.  "So I can help you guys fight?"

"I never thought of it that way,"  I answered.  "It does make the most sense.  So yes."

"Beth,"  Dean put his hands on her shoulders.  "You have to remember something.  It's kill or be killed during this war.  I want to make sure you're mentally okay with killing a werewolf if you need to."

"I can do it,"  Beth promised.  "I won't let any of you down."

There was a loud bang that came from upstairs.  I checked all my links with everyone to make sure they were alright.  They were.  What was that noise?  After the bang, we called it quits for the day with training Beth.  We got upstairs and found nothing wrong.  Everyone was sitting and talking.  Everyone except Faith and Elijah.  I let out a curse and ran upstairs to check on Faith.  If Elijah hurt her he was going to be beaten half to death.  

A feral rogue was in the room.  Elijah was battling with him, while Faith was looking around the room for a weapon.  I guess Elijah took in what Beth had said yesterday and he didn't want to kill anything in front of Faith with his hands.  When Elijah's back was arched slightly I ran and jumped over him, using his shoulders as support.  I kicked the feral rogue out the window but luck wasn't on my side and I went with him.  

I landed on my feet perfectly fine but the feral had a different way of landing.  He had a shard of glass impaled into his heart.  I cursed and ran a hand through my hair when I smelt the stench of death coming off of him.  Now, there was no way we could question him to see why he was here in the first place.  Everyone rushed outside in the backyard.  I kneeled beside the lifeless rogue and checked his pockets to see if I could find anything useful.  Instead, there were almost one million dollars in cash and a note.  When I read it, a loud growl tore through my throat.  Austin sent him to spy, not to kill.  I guess he was getting information on who was here and Elijah, being a guardian, smelt him.  Dean walked over and took the note from me.