Chapter Seventeen

One Month Later

Today was the day that Blayke and I would be getting ready to go back home.  Blayke and I fought about this the whole night.  He wanted to stay but lately, he began whimpering Mina's name in his sleep.  I didn't blame Blayke though, Rayla and I were starting to miss Dean as well.  I couldn't care less about going back home.  Once everyday Blayke and I checked in on Alec, Mina, Ciana, and Dean to make sure they were okay.  Dean and Mina looked so lifeless a good amount of the time but Alec was always there for Dean while Ciana took Mina shopping and out all the time.  Shopping and eating was the best way for that girl to get anything upsetting off her mind. Blayke and I... we've been lonely.  We were both thinking about our own things, rarely talking to each other.  Since Cole's death, Blayke and I haven't been close.  If anything we were avoiding each other like the plague.  I knew that we were both scared that one of us was going to end up like Cole did.

"Are you ready to go back?"  Blayke asked me, his voice stone cold.

"Yeah,"  I answered.

As we walked Blayke looked at me with a soft, sad smile.  "I wonder what they're going to think when we get back there.  We've both changed a lot since... Cole's death."

"If you mean ignoring each other as much as possible is a change then yeah,"  I cleared my throat.  "They're all going to wonder if anything happened."

"Look,"  Blayke sighed.  "I don't want to avoid you.  I still want to be your brother.  I still want to be the one you come to.  It's just what happened with Cole, I don't want to get too attached to you then it ends up being something bad.  Like you being killed."

I stopped right in front of Blayke and scoffed.  "That would've happened to me by now if it were going to.  I wasn't raised like you or Cole.  I was raised by myself and Rayla.  Alone.  I didn't have a lap to cry on.  So the thing anyone should be worrying about is you dying.  Not me, so by all means, if it makes you sleep at night believe that one of us are going to end up dead tomorrow let's just end it off on a bad note."

"Ali-"  I cut Blayke off with my hand.  

"I've been alone my whole life,"  I said, tears filling my eyes.  "So I am and always will be a lone wolf on the inside.  It won't bite me in the ass if you or I die.  Get that into your head now."

"If it were Mina or Ciana then it would,"  Blayke said, darkly.  "Not because of the bond.  It's going to be because of your friendship with them.  You three are like fucking sisters.  Don't tell me nothing will affect you because of some childhood issues.  The guardian bond isn't just because of your wolf liking them and wanting to protect them.  It's the same for the person."

Blayke shouldered past me.  I let out a small growl before I went to follow him.  He did have a point to what he was saying.  It wasn't just Rayla wanting to protect them, it was me as well.  Why did Blayke go so dark?  Did he have someone he protected and they died?  

"Who were they?"  I asked.

Blayke growled.  "I don't want to talk to anyone about them.  Just be thankful that Ciana and Mina are both happy and healthy."

"Of course I am thankful for that,"  I said.  "What I think is that you aren't thankful.  You're scared.  Scared of people dying, people that you're close to.  Since Cole died you've been pushing me away.  Do you actually believe that I will die?  Good job putting faith into your twin sister Blayke."

I shifted into my wolf and ran away.  Blayke was calling me to come back.  I didn't want to hear what he had to say.  I just wanted to go back and forget that Blayke was even related to me.  He had no faith in me to live.  He just thought I was going to die right away.  It enraged me to even think about it.  I could smell Mina and Ciana's scent.  It was fresh.  What were those two walking alone around the edge of the territory?  I couldn't smell anyone else, Ciana and Mina were alone. I pushed myself faster towards them, scared that someone could easily grab them.