*****

"Katie, the guests will soon arrive, please come out." My mom begged behind my closed door.

"NO! He never misses my birthday, I won't come out until he is present." I protested sticking on to the little hope as I looked at the swan patterned rug below as my feet hovered several inches away from it as I sat on my Lavender colored bottom sheet.

I refuse to cry! He will come, I know it

"Sweetie I'm sorry, but he left a voice note, could you let me in, so you could listen to it?" She pleaded again in a whisper.

I turned around as I looked at the door, slowly approaching it, I reached for the lock.

*click*

I stood rigid as I looked on as my mom peered through the small opening before finally entering, "Thank You dear, let's sit." she gestured towards my bed. "Do you want me to say it or would you want to hear it from him?" Worry clearly written on her face, I could already guess what this was about.

"I rather hear it from him." I said playing with my curly brunette hair trying to calm my racing heart.

"Okay, here!" She passed the phone to me playing the message as I put it over my right ear, with the aim of imagining him speaking to me at that moment.

"My baby girl!, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to your birthday today, the contract is still in progress and I couldn't leave or the deal will be closed, I did make provision for your birthday, you did say you wanted a tablet computer and I made sure you get everything you want, be good today, make sure to smile and show everyone why this day is special to you, love you and your mother, Bye! " the voice note ended with a beep, stray tears I didn't know I had been keeping at bay fell on my sparkly dress.

"Bu-but he prom-ised, he said he'll com-" I hiccuped as my bottom lip quivered, I couldn't hold the disappointment any longer as I curled into a ball as gut wrenching sobs tore through my chest, angry at myself for hoping on the impossible.

"I'm sorry dear, I really thought he could make it, please don't cry anymore, I'll make up for his absence, I promise, don't worry super mom can't disappoint you." I could feel my mom engulf me in an embrace.

Reaching for my ribs, she applied light pressure, that was all she needed to do to make me let out spasmodic laughter as I tried pushing her away.

"Mom!.. I'm... Fine" I managed to say amidst my laughter and thankfully she stopped just in time before I had any chance of ruining my hair and dress.

"Now can the princess of the day step out of her tower and into the grassy fields?" A satisfied grin on her face as she overly exaggerated her gesture towards the door.

"Yes please!" As I wiped off the tears from my cheeks, I reached close to her face giving her a quick peck on the cheek. "Thankyou!" I continued as I made my way to the living room.

******

"Happy Birthday Katie!!" Everyone chorused as I smiled like a Cheshire cat. "Thank You everyone and on the first thing on my list now that I'm 10years old is to keep you all as one big family!"

"You'll be my uncle-" as I pointed to a man in his mid thirties who lived a block away from ours, he wore a blue shirt and a pair of black pants.

"You'll be my sister-" as I pointed to my friend who lived next door, she wore matching outfit as mine the only difference being the color, hers being pink. She jumped in delight at the idea.

"and you'll be my-" it went on and on until I've assigned everyone present at the party a role in my family.

Little did I know my new found family will crumble in a matter of months and a beginning of a new lifestyle one that changed my view of people, one which is a constant reminder of the things I wished I never lost.

*******

Life isn't always a bed of roses, as beautiful as it is; it also has thorns and my life never started with roses, the thorns was a constant reminder of good things to come.

Author's Note

📍Yes! So that's the intro, how was it?
Like to know your review 😊

📍Could anyone spot any hidden reference?