Chapter 8

Once again, I awoke from a restless sleep. Rolling over, I groggily looked at the clock. I must have slept longer than I thought, because the clock read 9:12. Hmmm, I pondered, I wonder what Connor is up to.

"Hey Co-" I stopped mid sentance when I realized he wasn't laying next to me. Not even bothering to put my clothes on, I stumbled out of the bedroom in my underwear. I stopped in the doorway of the kitchen when I saw Connor. He had his head on the table with his arms covering his face. He looked up when I entered the room. I could see his eyes roam up my half naked body, but then he blushed when he noticed me watching him. Did lastnight really happen? Of course it did. That was the best kiss of my life. The only regret is that Connor had a bit too much to drink. I had no idea if he felt the same way I did. I was sure that Connor just kissed me because he was drunk.

"Hey..." I said, slowly.

"Hey" he replyed. We stood there and stared at each other for quite sone time. I could still feel the passion burning between us, or so I thought. I hadn't even realized that I was moving forward, until I was nose to nose with my best friend. He looked at my lips and leaned in closer. My whole body was tingling with anticipation as he kept moving forward, towards my lips. Our lips were so close, I could feel his warm breath on my skin. Then suddenly, he stopped and pulled away. I knew the moment his eyes went from full of passion to hard and focused. Just for a split second I thought I saw agony in his eyes, but he quickly turned from me.

   "I can't do this" he murmured, turning back around to face me. I probably looked slightly crazed as I violently shook my head, my blonde curls bouncing from side to side. "I'm sorry, Lil. You're my best friend. I can't lose you". My mouth was dry and I couldn't find the words to speak, so I just stood there, dumbfounded with a strange look in my eyes. He gave me one last glance and walked away. In my state of shock, I just stood there, trying to process what had just happened.

     Snapping back into reality, I realized that there were tears gliding down my rosy cheeks. A deep anger that was boiling inside of me replaced the sadness that had filled my heart, just seconds before. Instead of moping around, and being depressed, I stormed into our bedroom. Connor, who was laying on the bed, looked up at me. The anger almost melted away when I saw his tear stained eyes. Then I remembered why I really came in there.

    "Why?" I asked him, furiousness dripping from my voice like wax on a burning candle. Taking a deep breath, I started over. "Why do you pull away every time?" I whispered to him. I took a step closer to him.

     "Lil..." He half-whispered, "You've been my best friend since as long as I can remember. I just don't want anything to happen that would destroy our friendship". I felt as though I was on the verge of tears. "But what if we were meant to be together?" I asked him, my voice breaking at the end. "I..I just can't risk that. I'm sorry". Not wanting him to see my heart breaking, I started running. I ran out the door and into the darkness. I didn't care where I was going, I just couldn't be there a second longer.

****************************************************

Connor's POV:

     "I just can't risk that. I'm sorry". The worst words I'd ever said in my lifetime. They kept echoing through my head, making me feel completely hollow inside. I would never forget the look on her face after I'd said them. It looked like I'd slapped her in the face; like something cracked inside of her. I didn't ever want to picture her leaving, but I'd done it. The only people I wanted to talk to were Lil (which was obviously out of the question at the moment), or Jack, but he was out of town. Well, there was one other person... My friend, Aubrey. I hesitated to call her because she was one of my ex-girlfriends whom Lily absolutely dispises. Besides Lily, she was the only girl I could ever talk to about anything. That is, until we broke up. I've bearly talked to her since those six months ago. Shall I call her, or shall I not? That was the impending question. What the hell, I decided. I might as well call her, what can it hurt now?

     "Hello?" Her musical voice filled my ears. It brought back so many memories with it. "Aubrey?" I almost whispered into the reciever, not wanting to spoil the memories in my head. "Hi Connor. Long time, no see". I was almost surprised that there was no sarcasm or anger in her voice, just something else. Regret maybe. "I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in so long, but I need someone to talk to. Would you want to maybe comeover and talk?" Oh boy. I couldn't believe I was asking her to comeover and talk. She probably thought I meant talk about us. "Okay. I'll be over in fifteen, bye". Hoping I wasn't making a huge mistake, I hit the end button on my cell phone and went into the living room to wait.

     It wasn't long before I heard a knock on the door. I quickly walked over to the door and took a deep breath. After slowly exhaling, I opened the door just as she held her fist up to knock again. For a few seconds, we both just stood there, taking each other in. It was nice to breathe in her familiar scent as we hugged in the doorway. "Why don't we sit in the living room" I suggested. We sat down and I started spinning my earring around between my fingers. "I see you never got rid of that nervous habit" She said to me. "What nervous habit?" I tried to sound more confident than I really was feeling. "Well, whenever you got nervous, you would always twirl your earring between your fingers".

"How do you know that?" I asked her, curiously. "Babe, there are a lot of things I know about you. Like for instance," She said leaning closer. "you like it when I suck on your earlobe". It sent shocks through my body when she pressed her lips and her tongue to my skin. "Aubrey.." I started to say, but she moved her lips to the nape of my neck. "really you should.." I tried to continue in a rather husky voice. "Stop?" She offered, kissing back up my neck. "Why," she said between kisses, "I couldn't do such a thing. I just want to give you pleasure". With one finger running down my back and rubbing my thigh, my mind changed. I was sure Lil wasn't coming back anytime soon; she hadn't left that long ago. Completely giving in, I sighed when her lips finally touched mine. I felt the pleasure pulse through my veins, and the blood rushing to one spot in particular. After she pulled away, I was disappointed. The kiss with Lil was far more satisfying, in ways I couldn't describe. Before I had any time to think, she forced her lips back on to mine. This time, it didn't make me feel good at all. I just wanted to get her off of me. Suddenly, I heard a gasp. We both turned our heads to the door to see who had made the noise. I felt my heart break into a million pieces at that moment. "Lil.." I didn't even know what to say. Not that I could say anything, since she turned right back around and left as quickly as she'd come. Oh what had I done? I hoped with all I had left that I didn't lose Lily forever.