Chapter 11

The next few days I spent in my sweatpants, watching old soap operas. I couldn't deal with the fact that I'd basically just gotten rejected by my best friend. I looked like a mess when he came home; my hair all up in a bun, my eyes puffy, my nose bright pink. I was sitting on the couch, covered up in my favorite blanket that my mother made me and when I heard the door creak open.

"Lily?" Connor called when he walked in the door. As soon as he saw me, he pulled me close into his chest. "What happened?". My eyes started streaming again and I couldn't help the gasps that were escaping my lips. It took me a couple of minutes before I could trust my voice.

"I missed you so much" I whispered into his muscular chest. After he didn't answer, I stole a peek at his face. His eyes were closed and his lips were set in a hard line. "What's wrong?" I asked him.

"I messed up Lil. I shouldn't have run away. I am so sorry." He finally opened his eyes and looked down at me. They bore into mine like he was reaching into my soul. "Am I the reason you look like this?" he whispered to me, his voice cracking. I broke my eyes away from his to look down. I could feel my cheeks heating up at the question. I looked back up when I heard a long, exasperated sigh. In his eyes, I saw an array of emotions flicker in an instant. His gaze captivated my eyes like a child looking up at fireworks in wonder. It felt like forever that he was staring intently into my eyes, looking for something. I hadn't even realized that we'd leaned in closer. Never breaking the gaze, I leaned in and touched my lips to his. He didn't respond at first and I thought he'd rejected me again, but then he slowly moved his lips with mine. The kiss was soft, as if he feared I would fall apart in his arms. I felt the sparks as his lips caressed mine gently, until something broke and he pressed his lips harder into mine. As our kiss got deeper, he tangled his hands into my hair and pulled me even closer to his face. I could feel my pulse quicken as our tongues danced around each other in sync. I felt like I was finally free; finally able to show him how I really felt. He took me by surprise and lifted me up, never breaking the kiss. I felt the cold wall against my back as he pressed his body up against mine, still holding onto my legs. His lips broke away from mine, only to find his way down to the nape of my neck. He kissed a trail up and down my sensitive skin and a soft moan escaped my throbbing lips. Connor looked into my eyes once again and whispered something barely audible.

"I love you too" I whispered back.