Chapter 3

I awoke the next morning and felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I went to the kitchen and looked through the refrigerator for something to eat. As I was popping a succulent strawberry  into my mouth, Connor walked in. He had his shirt off and his dirty blonde hair touseled, and if I were any girl but me, I would have been totally falling for him in that instant. Instead of drooling over my best friend's sexy body, I turned around and looked into the milk carton, making sure it was still good. Seeing as it was, I poured us both a glass and sat down next to him at the counter.

     "How's my favorite girl today?" he asked in a horrid British accent. I tried holding it in, but burst out laughing when he wiggled his eyebrows at me. Instead of throwing a comeback to his question, I told him I was fine.

     "I don't want to spoil your mood, but why are you so happy?" I asked him.

     "Because last night I couldn't sleep, so I laid awake in bed, thinking. It was then that I came up with the best idea ever. So you don't want to have to deal with your parents, right?" I nodded. "Well then why don't you just move in with me?" He had an unusual sparkle in his eyes as he proposed the idea. I pondered for a moment and then said, "That doesn't sound like such a bad idea. You're a genious, my friend." I smiled at him. When he's suggested I make a note to leave on the door at my house, I thought he was insane.

     "Think about it, Lil. Then you don't have to talk to them anymore. You can just write everything that you want to say." The more I thought about it, the more I was beginning to like the idea.                 

     "Okay, but it's not going to be anything crazy." He pretended to frown, which made me crack a bigger smile. I went to his desk and grabbed a pencil and paper. I sat back down next to him, and we went to work.

     When we arrived at my house, I turned to Connor with a frightened look on my face. He gave me a few words of encouragement and sent me out the door with my letter. I almost ran to the front door and stopped in front of it. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I turned the knob and opened the door. On the way to my bedroom, my step father, who was sitting in his armchair, looked up at me, apathetically. He obviously could care less whether or not I was there. I couldn't believe what a horrible man he was. he didn't even care avout his stepdaughter. It was utterly pathetic. Deciding not to get into a brawl with him, I stalked into my room. It looked the same as I'd left it. I glanced around and thought about how easy it would be to get everything out. By the time I was finished, it had only taken four trips to the car. After I'd taped the note to the front of my bedroom door, I walked out to Connor's car without another glance back and we drove away.

     "Where would you go if you won a shopping spree?" Connor asked me on the drive back to his-well our- house.

     "Hmm. That's a hard one. I would probably just go to a big mall and shop at a bunch of different stores." I answered, lost in thought.

      "So...do you want to go to the mall today?" He quietly asked. He was looking at me from the side of his eye. He looked extremely nervous.

     "Why?" I asked him suspiciously.

     "Well, I figured you'd want to. I mean, what girl doesn't want to go shopping?"  I thought about that and couldn't think of many.

     "Good point. Yeah, that would be nice." We headed to the mall, talking the whole way there. Instead of being excited, like any other girl would have going on a shopping spree with her best friend, I had a bad feeling in my mind. Did I just do the wrong thing?