Chapter 9

I went the one place I never thought I'd see again. After knocking on the door for almost five minutes, he finally opened the door. When his eyes settled on me, his face fell into a deep frown.

 "What do you want?" he bellowed. "Is mom home?" I asked him, silently praying that she would come to the door. "Why?" He asked again. "I need to talk to her" I squeaked. He didn't asnwer me, but stepped aside so I could squeeze through the door. "Mom!" I called out, heading to her bedroom.

"Lily?" she peeked her head out of the open doorway and smiled. "Oh honey, I've missed you!" she exclamed as she pulled me into a tight hug. "I've missed you too, mom" I whispered into her ear, bursting into tears. "What's wrong?" she worriedly asked me as she stroked my curls. My mother's gentile touch just made me cry harder, soaking her shirt with tears. When I'd finally calmed down enough, I pulled away and looked at my mother. "It's Connor.." I croaked.

   "What did he do to you?" my mother asked quietly. Instead of answering, I thought back to the scene I'd just witnessed; my Connor with another girl in a compromising position on our couch. Just thinking about it, made the waterworks begin again. I couldn't speak for the longest time, I'd felt hurt and betrayed by someone who was supposed to be my best friend. "Mom," I began again, " he had Aubrey over when I came home. They were.." I couldn't finish. It hurt my heart too much to think about what I'd seen. To think about the words Connor had said to me before I left. "Lil.." I looked up at my mom as she spoke and noticed the tinge of a small smile.. "you love him, don't you?" With that, her smile spread into a full out grin. I looked down, my cheeks burning a deep cherry color. Was that really what was happening? "Well..I..I." I whispered, trying to find the right words. Completely giving up on finding a reason why I wouldn't, I asnwered, "I guess so". I glanced back up at my mother, this time with a slight grin playing on my lips. If it hadn't been for my mom, I never would have admitted it to myself. She surprised me by saying, "I always hoped this would happen..." Just as I was about to ask why, she continued, "when you two were younger, you were practically attatched at the hip. He was such a nice boy and always so good to you, I always hoped you would end up together". I looked down at my hands in my lap. "Mom" I whispered, "we..aren't..together. He doesn't love me back. If he did, he would have come after me". The tears were once again rolling down my cheeks. "Oh honey. Sometimes men don't know what they want. They don't know how to act or what to say when things start getting serious. Trust me, when your father first started liking me, he would always act wierd around me, which made me think he didn't want me. But in the end it all worked out. Don't worry, Lillian. In the end it will all work out. I think once he realizes he's in love with you too, you'll know. But first," She pulled my chin up with her pointer finger, "you must show him how you feel". She kissed my forehead like mothers do and pulled me into a gentle hug.

     "Thanks mom" I smiled up at her and hugged her back. Sliding off the bed, I stretched my arms and yawned. "I guess I better get going. Thanks mom, and I love you" I said as I hugged her one last time. "I love you too, and I'm always here if you need me" she told me as she squeezed me back. I turned my back and instantly felt remorse for leaving my mother in that house with the demon. I strode out of the house with confidence, but as soon as I slipped into the driver's seat of my car I started to worry. Taking a few deep breaths to calm myself, I finally put the car in drive and sped away to do what I should have done a while ago.