Chapter 19: A Work Of Heart

25th July, 2019

I gave away my heart for life.

But what is life?

One minute you are a child holding that cotton candy beside your parents by the carnival and the next minute you are a student flying away that graduation cap in the air with all your friends. One minute you are a teenager rebelling with life and the next minute you are an adult who is accepting life with open arms. One minute you are the girl dreaming of a fairytale wedding and the next minute you are a woman huffing at your own wedding reception. One minute you are a college student discussing your future child's name and the next minute you are giving birth to your first. One minute you are born and the next, you are just dying.

Taraa felt the excruciating pain beneath her and she knew, it was time. When her water broke, so did her heart. Where was Ameen? Oh, shoot her! He was at work. Where was Esta? She was fast asleep, for God's sake it was two in the morning. She groaned in pain, a pain so raw that it made her forget about everything. What was happening?! Something didn't feel right, her vision was blurring out, her head was spinning faster than any super-force in the whole universe. She needed Ameen, but she couldn't remember where she put her phone.

"AUNT ESTA!" She screamed out. It was not her strength, it was the pain.

The things pain make us do!

"Esta!" She yelled again, reaching for the door.

"Taraa?" Aunt Esta's panicked voice kind of mentally took some pain away from her.

"A-aunt Esta, there's something wrong. The baby. It's coming."

Rushing to her niece, she asked worried, "It's okay! I'm calling Ameen."

Taraa shook her head, sweat dripped off her as if summer took a toll on her. "He's in surgery. Call an ambulance!"

One minute you are laughing and the next, you are crying.

As hurtful as it hurt, she didn't want to feel, something told her that the pain wasn't because of the baby altogether. Something else was also wrong. She could feel it. Her heart broke, she wanted her tears to stop, she wanted the atmosphere to be cooler. More than everything, she wanted to see Ameen's face. Only he could make her feel better.

And when her body couldn't carry her anymore, she almost collapsed onto the floor, but her Aunt got her and when her senses were flickering, soon dashed in the paramedics to her care.

One minute you are smiling and the next, you are frowning.

Taraa felt sad, the pain made her feel sad. The tears hurt, it was as if they were extracting the rest of her strength that she carried in her. She screamed the life out of her, Aunt Esta was helpless, the paramedics were so freaking annoying. Even amidst all that pain, screams and the blurry mess, she still wished Ameen was there with her. So that he could tell her that it was okay. So that he would smile at her despite his worries.

One minute you are with your friends and the next, you are just so alone.

The hospital was close by. In a matter of time they were taking her to the LDR, everything was moving so fast, the baby was coming. Her only question was, where the heck was Ameen?!

One minute you are dreaming and the next, it's all a nightmare.

"ESTA, I can't do this. I can't!" She sobbed out the words, "I need to see Ameen! Call my in-laws."

"Yes, yes! It's okay, I need you to calm down. It's gonna be okay. You'll do great, I promise."

One minute you are doing great and the next, you are simply falling apart.