Wairimu

Wairimu balanced newspapers on her manicured hands while trying not to fall flat on her face in her wedge high heels.

The COOs office was on the ninth floor, the top most floor along with her fathers office but the HR office was on the first floor, then the creative office followed on the fifth, IT on the seventh and finally the A-listers on the 9th. It was ridiculous. Why wouldn't the offices be close together? By the time she was done everybody in the building would know she was madam newspapers.

The lift's bell dinged and its doors opened. They entered with the receptionist. They would start on the first floor. The HR was a lean woman who wore round rimmed spectacles. She didn't as much as look at her, she just nodded and got back to her MacBook after Wairimu placed her newspapers on her white desk.

On the fifth floor were the creative directors, eight of them, Head of customer service and social media. Ten in number. She was relieved that they had not clocked in yet. She asked the receptionist why?

"Oh they start work at nine but most of them clock in by noon."

"So why are we clocking in at 8?"

"It's the hour of foot soldiers."

The IT department followed. There was head of IT, Tech Lead, information systems manager, software engineer. They all came to a total of seven. All of them were not yet in except for the tech led. A short guy, bald head and an intelligent face. He asked her name and thanked her for the newspapers and for some reason she felt warm inside.

She proceeded back to the Ninth floor where all the heavy hitters were and where she would be sitting. She gave the COO his newspapers, then head of credit control, Head of debtors, then the CFO and finally his dads office. The clock read 9. He was not yet in. She placed the papers on his humongous mahogany desk and closed the door behind her. She was done with newspapers for the day.

She breathed out a sigh but before she could catch a break she heard a voice behind her. "You're Wairimu right?" the woman did not allow her to answer. "Your computer has been set up," she pointed. "I need you to key in the documents on your desk into the system." She looked at her workstation. The desktop was dwarfed by the papers beside it. She wanted to run but instead she hobbled towards the paper pile.